From: Paul Goodman on
Hello,

After reading posts here concerning backing up my system, I have
decided to purchase an external drive to backup my whole hard drive
rather than just copying selected folders on to thumb drives. Some of
the external drives that I am looking at state that "mac users may have
to reformat the drive before using". How would I do that?

--
Paul Goodman

From: Davoud on
Paul Goodman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After reading posts here concerning backing up my system, I have
> decided to purchase an external drive to backup my whole hard drive
> rather than just copying selected folders on to thumb drives. Some of
> the external drives that I am looking at state that "mac users may have
> to reformat the drive before using". How would I do that?

You would do that with Disk Utility. I wouldn't do it at all. I would
buy a FW drove from Other World Computing and just plug it in.
Pre-formatted for your Mac. You'll want SuperDuper as well. Will do a
complete backup and make the external drive bootable.

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
From: David Arnstein on
In article <2010062818532637090-goodmanp(a)comcastnet>,
Paul Goodman <goodmanp(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>After reading posts here concerning backing up my system, I have
>decided to purchase an external drive to backup my whole hard drive
>rather than just copying selected folders on to thumb drives. Some of
>the external drives that I am looking at state that "mac users may have
>to reformat the drive before using". How would I do that?

The way I would did this was to clone my OSX installation DVD to my
external disk drive. After that, I set up Time Machine software to use
that external disk drive as a backup medium.

The advantage of this approach is that disaster recovery becomes
simple. I can (and I have!) booted a sick Mac Mini from that external
disk drive. This is possible because it is a clone of the install DVD.
The same drive holds all my Time Machine backups, so I was able to do
a full restore from the same drive.
--
David Arnstein (00)
arnstein+usenet(a)pobox.com {{ }}
From: Paul Goodman on
On 2010-06-28 21:22:02 -0400, Davoud said:

> Paul Goodman wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> After reading posts here concerning backing up my system, I have
>> decided to purchase an external drive to backup my whole hard drive
>> rather than just copying selected folders on to thumb drives. Some of
>> the external drives that I am looking at state that "mac users may have
>> to reformat the drive before using". How would I do that?
>
> You would do that with Disk Utility. I wouldn't do it at all. I would
> buy a FW drove from Other World Computing and just plug it in.
> Pre-formatted for your Mac. You'll want SuperDuper as well. Will do a
> complete backup and make the external drive bootable.
>
> Davoud

Thanks to Michelle and Davoud for your replies. I ended up getting,
for better or worse, a WD Passport drive that was formatted for a Mac.
I ran my first backup this afternoon and all went well.

--
Paul Goodman

From: Paul Goodman on
On 2010-06-28 21:33:41 -0400, David Arnstein said:

> In article <2010062818532637090-goodmanp(a)comcastnet>,
> Paul Goodman <goodmanp(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> After reading posts here concerning backing up my system, I have
>> decided to purchase an external drive to backup my whole hard drive
>> rather than just copying selected folders on to thumb drives. Some of
>> the external drives that I am looking at state that "mac users may have
>> to reformat the drive before using". How would I do that?
>
> The way I would did this was to clone my OSX installation DVD to my
> external disk drive. After that, I set up Time Machine software to use
> that external disk drive as a backup medium.

[SNIP]

Thank you for your suggestion and reply. I ended up getting a drive
pre-formatted for a Mac. I used Time Machine to do my first backup
this afternoon.

--
Paul Goodman

 |  Next  |  Last