From: Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago on
I had configured default_destination_recipient_limit to 1500 and I
couldn't send an email destined to 1100 recipients. It was when I
modified this two options when I got it working:

smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit
smtpd_recipient_limit

I rtfm but I just can't see why it wasn't working, because
default_destination_recipient_limit seems to be the default value for
every postfix service.

.... or maybe I am just missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago.

Hippogriff, n.:
An animal (now extinct) which was half horse and half griffin.
The griffin was itself a compound creature, half lion and half
eagle. The hippogriff was actually, therefore, only one quarter
eagle, which is two dollars and fifty cents in gold.
The study of zoology is full of surprises.

Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago
Técnico de Sistemas

Departamento de Nuevas Tecnologías
Ayuntamiento de Getafe
Plaza de la Constitución 1 (28901)

Correo: marcos.lorenzo(a)ayto-getafe.org
Teléfono: 912 027 948
Móvil: 608 300 935
From: Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago on
El vie, 26-03-2010 a las 12:06 +0100, Wietse Venema escribió:

> Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago:
> > I had configured default_destination_recipient_limit to 1500 and I
> > couldn't send an email destined to 1100 recipients. It was when I
> > modified this two options when I got it working:
> >
> > smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit
> > smtpd_recipient_limit
> >
> > I rtfm but I just can't see why it wasn't working, because
> > default_destination_recipient_limit seems to be the default value for
> > every postfix service.
> >
> > ... or maybe I am just missing something.
>
> Indeed. You missed the instructions for reporting a problem
> on this mailing list. They were sent to you in the mailing
> list welcome message.

externo2:~# postconf -n
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
config_directory = /etc/postfix
default_destination_recipient_limit = 20000
inet_interfaces = all
mailbox_size_limit = 0
message_size_limit = 52428800
mydestination = externo2.ayto-getafe.org, localhost.ayto-getafe.org,
localhost
myhostname = externo2.ayto-getafe.org
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128 10.0.0.0/8
172.16.0.0/12 192.168.0.0/16
myorigin = /etc/mailname
readme_directory = no
recipient_delimiter = +
relay_domains = $mydestination, ayto-getafe.org
relayhost =
smtpd_recipient_limit = 20000
smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit = 20000
smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,
reject_non_fqdn_sender, reject_unknown_sender_domain,
check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/sender_access
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/mailer.ayto-getafe.org_cert.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/mailer.ayto-getafe.org_key.pem
smtpd_use_tls = yes

I have no logs to show, sorry. But my question remains as simple as
before:
Could anyone please point me to some document (RFC or so) where that
options and its use are more thoroughly explained than in postfix's
manual?

Sorry for missing info and thank you very much for your time.

Regards,
Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago.

if (argc > 1 && strcmp(argv[1], "-advice") == 0) {
printf("Don't Panic!\n");
exit(42);
}
(Arnold Robbins in the LJ of February '95, describing RCS)

From: Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago on
El sáb, 27-03-2010 a las 17:11 +0100, mouss escribió:

> Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago a écrit :
> > El vie, 26-03-2010 a las 12:06 +0100, Wietse Venema escribió:
> >> Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago:

> >> Indeed. You missed the instructions for reporting a problem
> >> on this mailing list. They were sent to you in the mailing
> >> list welcome message.
> >
> > externo2:~# postconf -n
> > alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
> > alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
> > append_dot_mydomain = no
> > biff = no
> > config_directory = /etc/postfix
> > default_destination_recipient_limit = 20000
> > inet_interfaces = all
> > mailbox_size_limit = 0
> > message_size_limit = 52428800
> > mydestination = externo2.ayto-getafe.org, localhost.ayto-getafe.org,
> > localhost
> > myhostname = externo2.ayto-getafe.org
> > mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128 10.0.0.0/8
> > 172.16.0.0/12 192.168.0.0/16
> > myorigin = /etc/mailname
> > readme_directory = no
> > recipient_delimiter = +
> > relay_domains = $mydestination, ayto-getafe.org
> > relayhost =
> > smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtp_scache
> > smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Debian/GNU)
> > smtpd_recipient_limit = 20000
> > smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit = 20000
> > smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, reject_non_fqdn_sender,
> > reject_unknown_sender_domain, check_sender_access
> > hash:/etc/postfix/sender_access
> > smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/mailer.ayto-getafe.org_cert.pem
> > smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/mailer.ayto-getafe.org_key.pem
> > smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtpd_scache
> > smtpd_use_tls = yes
> > transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
> >

> > I have no logs to show, sorry. But my question remains as simple as before:
> > Could anyone please point me to some document (RFC or so) where that
> > options and its use are more thoroughly explained than in postfix's manual?
> >
> > Sorry for missing info and thank you very much for your time.
> >

> without logs and/or transcripts, we have no idea what blocks your mail.
> It is possible that mail was blocked by some piece (anti-virus,
> firewall, router, mail relay, ...) other than postfix.
>
> As for the parameters, smtpd_* apply to the smtpd server, which
> _receives_ mail, while default_destination_recipient_limit applies to
> mail that postfix _delivers_ (via smtp, lmtp, virtual and pipe).

Ok, that explains it!, even though I had set
default_destination_recipient_limit to 1500, and therefore I could'nt
use that SMTP server to connect to it and send a mail to 1500 recipients
because default_destination_recipient_limit only applies to mail
delivered by postfix process, not received by its smtp server.

Thank you very much and sorry for the little info I gave.

I was trying to remember the error code that SMTP came up with. It said
"Too many errors" but I cannot assure that 470 or 407 was the error code
although it's the only number I can recall.

Regards,
Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago.

PS: Tahnks for your time. Next issue will be perfectly detailed, sorry
for that.

Who wants to remember that escape-x-alt-control-left shift-b puts
you into super-edit-debug-compile mode?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of commands,
especially Emacs.)