From: Yousuf Khan on
This could lead to the discovery of the "sterile" neutrino. A
hypothetical version of the neutrino which is much more massive than
regular neutrinos, and travel at sub-relativistic speeds. Thus they
could be good candidates for Dark Matter on their own, and they are even
required by some modified gravity theories to make the equations work out.

Yousuf Khan

***
Neutrino finding could force physicists to rethink the foundations of
particle physics | R&D Mag
"The new results, announced in June and submitted to the journal
Physical Review Letters, appears to be one of the first observed
violations of CP symmetry: the theory that matter and antimatter should
behave in the same way. CP symmetry violation has been seen before in
quarks, but never in neutrinos or electrons.

The finding could also force physicists to revise their Standard Model,
which catalogs all of the known particles that make up matter. The model
now posits only three flavors of neutrino, but a fourth (or fifth or
sixth) may be necessary to explain the new results."
http://www.rdmag.com/News/2010/08/General-Science-Physics-Neutrino-Finding-Could-Force-Physicists-To-Rethink-The-Foundations-Of-Particle-Physics/
From: Raymond Yohros on
On Aug 12, 11:27 pm, Yousuf Khan <bbb...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> This could lead to the discovery of the "sterile" neutrino. A
> hypothetical version of the neutrino which is much more massive than
> regular neutrinos, and travel at sub-relativistic speeds. Thus they
> could be good candidates for Dark Matter on their own, and they are even
> required by some modified gravity theories to make the equations work out..
>
>         Yousuf Khan

behold of the neutrino
the holly grail in particle physics

r.y
From: Sam Wormley on
On 8/12/10 11:27 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> http://www.rdmag.com/News/2010/08/General-Science-Physics-Neutrino-Finding-Could-Force-Physicists-To-Rethink-The-Foundations-Of-Particle-Physics/

A team of physicists, including some from MIT, has found surprising
differences between the flavor-switching behavior of neutrinos and
antineutrinos. If confirmed, the finding could help explain why matter,
and not antimatter, dominates our universe.
From: Y.Porat on
On Aug 13, 12:25 pm, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Yousuf Khan wrote:
> > This could lead to the discovery of the "sterile" neutrino. A
> > hypothetical version of the neutrino which is much more massive than
> > regular neutrinos, and travel at sub-relativistic speeds. Thus they
> > could be good candidates for Dark Matter on their own, and they are even
> > required by some modified gravity theories to make the equations work out.
>
> I've suspected there's more than 3 neutrinos, purely on the basis of
> analysis of WMAP data. Interesting.
>

> > Yousuf Khan
>
> > ***
> > Neutrino finding could force physicists to rethink the foundations of
> > particle physics | R&D Mag
> > "The new results, announced in June and submitted to the journal
> > Physical Review Letters, appears to be one of the first observed
> > violations of CP symmetry: the theory that matter and antimatter should
> > behave in the same way. CP symmetry violation has been seen before in
> > quarks, but never in neutrinos or electrons.
>
> > The finding could also force physicists to revise their Standard Model,
> > which catalogs all of the known particles that make up matter. The model
> > now posits only three flavors of neutrino, but a fourth (or fifth or
> > sixth) may be necessary to explain the new results."
> >http://www.rdmag.com/News/2010/08/General-Science-Physics-Neutrino-
>
> Finding-Could-Force-Physicists-To-Rethink-The-Foundations-Of-Particle-
> Physics/

--------------------
(:-)
and i thought that Gisse ( &(CO.) knows the
'standard model '......
..
good enough to be a teacher of physics
or even a moderator here ....

Y.P
---------------------
From: Igor on
On Aug 13, 12:36 am, Raymond Yohros <b...(a)birdband.net> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 11:27 pm, Yousuf Khan <bbb...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > This could lead to the discovery of the "sterile" neutrino. A
> > hypothetical version of the neutrino which is much more massive than
> > regular neutrinos, and travel at sub-relativistic speeds. Thus they
> > could be good candidates for Dark Matter on their own, and they are even
> > required by some modified gravity theories to make the equations work out.
>
> >         Yousuf Khan
>
> behold of the neutrino
> the holly grail in particle physics

I used to know Holly Grail. She was a good old girl.