From: Bill Bowden on
I bought a digital 1 farad cap (ICBM-7244CRP) at a swap meet for $15
thinking I could sell it on ebay for a $30 or more.

I'm not sure how it works since it has a 40 amp relay inside to
disconnect the cap from the outside world. I think the display is for
power or voltage, but there are no switches to select a function. Only
two connections to make.

Anyway, it doesn't do anything when connected to a 12 volt PS. But I
can occasionally get it to turn on by interrupting the PS connections.
And when it does turn on, it displays strange numbers of 00, 55 or
whatever and then turns itself off after a few minutes.

I'm sure the actual cap is good since when it goes on, I can
disconnect the PS, and the display keeps reading for awhile using the
cap energy before going out completely. And as it goes out the display
reads changing numbers and then dies out.

I don't understand the function of the 40 amp relay. Seems like with
power applied, the cap could just sit there charged and the display
could time out when there is no change for a long time to save the
display power.

Is this cap any good, or does it have problems?
What is a good test?

-Bill
From: Grant on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:36:42 -0700 (PDT), Bill Bowden <wrongaddress(a)att.net> wrote:

>I bought a digital 1 farad cap (ICBM-7244CRP) at a swap meet for $15
>thinking I could sell it on ebay for a $30 or more.
>
>I'm not sure how it works since it has a 40 amp relay inside to
>disconnect the cap from the outside world. I think the display is for
>power or voltage, but there are no switches to select a function. Only
>two connections to make.
>
>Anyway, it doesn't do anything when connected to a 12 volt PS. But I
>can occasionally get it to turn on by interrupting the PS connections.
>And when it does turn on, it displays strange numbers of 00, 55 or
>whatever and then turns itself off after a few minutes.
>
>I'm sure the actual cap is good since when it goes on, I can
>disconnect the PS, and the display keeps reading for awhile using the
>cap energy before going out completely. And as it goes out the display
>reads changing numbers and then dies out.
>
>I don't understand the function of the 40 amp relay. Seems like with
>power applied, the cap could just sit there charged and the display
>could time out when there is no change for a long time to save the
>display power.
>
>Is this cap any good, or does it have problems?
>What is a good test?

From how far can you throw it into the bin? :)

Grant.

From: default on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:36:42 -0700 (PDT), Bill Bowden
<wrongaddress(a)att.net> wrote:

>I bought a digital 1 farad cap (ICBM-7244CRP) at a swap meet for $15
>thinking I could sell it on ebay for a $30 or more.
>
>I'm not sure how it works since it has a 40 amp relay inside to
>disconnect the cap from the outside world. I think the display is for
>power or voltage, but there are no switches to select a function. Only
>two connections to make.
>
>Anyway, it doesn't do anything when connected to a 12 volt PS. But I
>can occasionally get it to turn on by interrupting the PS connections.
>And when it does turn on, it displays strange numbers of 00, 55 or
>whatever and then turns itself off after a few minutes.
>
>I'm sure the actual cap is good since when it goes on, I can
>disconnect the PS, and the display keeps reading for awhile using the
>cap energy before going out completely. And as it goes out the display
>reads changing numbers and then dies out.
>
>I don't understand the function of the 40 amp relay. Seems like with
>power applied, the cap could just sit there charged and the display
>could time out when there is no change for a long time to save the
>display power.
>
>Is this cap any good, or does it have problems?
>What is a good test?
>
>-Bill

Maybe the relay is there to prevent the cap from blowing fuses or
killing switches from surge current? Charge the cap slowly through a
resistor then short the resistor when the cap is charged and ready to
supply the peak power?

Just a theory . . . I did something like that on my homebrew stereo
amp - it was killing switches trying to charge the cap banks.

From: Jamie on
default wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:36:42 -0700 (PDT), Bill Bowden
> <wrongaddress(a)att.net> wrote:
>

>>I bought a digital 1 farad cap (ICBM-7244CRP) at a swap meet for $15
>>thinking I could sell it on ebay for a $30 or more.
>>
>>I'm not sure how it works since it has a 40 amp relay inside to
>>disconnect the cap from the outside world. I think the display is for
>>power or voltage, but there are no switches to select a function. Only
>>two connections to make.
>>
>>Anyway, it doesn't do anything when connected to a 12 volt PS. But I
>>can occasionally get it to turn on by interrupting the PS connections.
>>And when it does turn on, it displays strange numbers of 00, 55 or
>>whatever and then turns itself off after a few minutes.
>>
>>I'm sure the actual cap is good since when it goes on, I can
>>disconnect the PS, and the display keeps reading for awhile using the
>>cap energy before going out completely. And as it goes out the display
>>reads changing numbers and then dies out.
>>
>>I don't understand the function of the 40 amp relay. Seems like with
>>power applied, the cap could just sit there charged and the display
>>could time out when there is no change for a long time to save the
>>display power.
>>
>>Is this cap any good, or does it have problems?
>>What is a good test?
>>
>>-Bill
>

> Maybe the relay is there to prevent the cap from blowing fuses or
> killing switches from surge current? Charge the cap slowly through a
> resistor then short the resistor when the cap is charged and ready to
> supply the peak power?
>
> Just a theory . . . I did something like that on my homebrew stereo
> amp - it was killing switches trying to charge the cap banks.

sounds like a static time delay off relay..

From: Bill Bowden on
On Jul 29, 7:12 pm, default <defa...(a)defaulter.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:36:42 -0700 (PDT), Bill Bowden
>

> <wrongaddr...(a)att.net> wrote:
> >I bought a digital 1 farad cap (ICBM-7244CRP) at a swap meet for $15
> >thinking I could sell it on ebay for a $30 or more.
>
> >I'm not sure how it works since it has a 40 amp relay inside to
> >disconnect the cap from the outside world. I think the display is for
> >power or voltage, but there are no switches to select a function. Only
> >two connections to make.
>
> >Anyway, it doesn't do anything when connected to a 12 volt PS. But I
> >can occasionally get it to turn on by interrupting the PS connections.
> >And when it does turn on, it displays strange numbers of 00, 55 or
> >whatever and then turns itself off after a few minutes.
>
> >I'm sure the actual cap is good since when it goes on, I can
> >disconnect the PS, and the display keeps reading for awhile using the
> >cap energy before going out completely. And as it goes out the display
> >reads changing numbers and then dies out.
>
> >I don't understand the function of the 40 amp relay. Seems like with
> >power applied, the cap could just sit there charged and the display
> >could time out when there is no change for a long time to save the
> >display power.
>
> >Is this cap any good, or does it have problems?
> >What is a good test?
>
> >-Bill
>
> Maybe the relay is there to prevent the cap from blowing fuses or
> killing switches from surge current?  Charge the cap slowly through a
> resistor then short the resistor when the cap is charged and ready to
> supply the peak power?
>
> Just a theory . . . I did something like that on my homebrew stereo
> amp - it was killing switches trying to charge the cap banks.
>
> --

Sounds like a good theory. The cap draws about 10mA when first
connected, but I can't tell if the 10mA is used for charge, or just to
power the electronics.

It takes a long time for the cap to engage and results are
inconsistent. The display never reads any useful numbers. But I don't
know what the display is supposed to read, power or voltage. I imagine
it would read power to the amp, but can't figure out how it would make
such a measurement. It would have to detect very small voltage changes
and convert that current and power. So, it would seem if gets very
large voltage changes it would read high numbers, but all I get is 0
or 5 or other meaningless numbers.

Think I'll sell it on ebay "as is" and just describe the problems.
Some buyer might know how to fix it. I think it has a processor, so if
that's gone, may be hard to fix. But the relay could be bypassed so
the thing operates as a normal cap. Might be worth $10 in that mode.

-Bill
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Portable Oscilloscope