From: Bret Cahill on
The markings on the housing of the 120 / 240 v ac Protek P-3502C don't
say anything about power consumption, only to use a 1 amp fuse. The
web page claims the newer models at least are low power or energy
efficient so I hooked it up to an $8.00, 60 watt inverter on a 12 v 22
amp hr lead acid gel cell.

It only drew 1.5 amps from the battery but the trace looked blurry and
couldn't be adjusted. I hooked up another gel cell in parallel but
the current and trace didn't change a bit. I then plugged it back
into 120 ac and the trace was back in focus.

Do oscilloscopes require a special sine wave inverter?

Bret Cahill

From: Bret Cahill on
> The markings on the housing of the 120 / 240 v ac Protek P-3502C don't
> say anything about power consumption, only to use a 1 amp fuse.  The
> web page claims the newer models at least are low power or energy
> efficient so I hooked it up to an $8.00, 60 watt inverter on a 12 v 22
> amp hr lead acid gel cell.
>
> It only drew 1.5 amps from the battery but the trace looked blurry and
> couldn't be adjusted.  I hooked up another gel cell in parallel but
> the current and trace didn't change a bit.  I then plugged it back
> into 120 ac and the trace was back in focus.
>
> Do oscilloscopes require a special sine wave inverter?

Seems the brightness needs to be turned all the way down when on the
inverter.

Bret Cahill

From: Tom Biasi on

"Bret Cahill" <BretCahill(a)peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> The markings on the housing of the 120 / 240 v ac Protek P-3502C don't
> say anything about power consumption, only to use a 1 amp fuse. The
> web page claims the newer models at least are low power or energy
> efficient so I hooked it up to an $8.00, 60 watt inverter on a 12 v 22
> amp hr lead acid gel cell.
>
> It only drew 1.5 amps from the battery but the trace looked blurry and
> couldn't be adjusted. I hooked up another gel cell in parallel but
> the current and trace didn't change a bit. I then plugged it back
> into 120 ac and the trace was back in focus.
>
> Do oscilloscopes require a special sine wave inverter?

Seems the brightness needs to be turned all the way down when on the
inverter.

Bret Cahill

The output of that inverter is far from adequate for electronics equipment.

Tom

From: Joerg on
Tom Biasi wrote:
> "Bret Cahill" <BretCahill(a)peoplepc.com> wrote in message
>> The markings on the housing of the 120 / 240 v ac Protek P-3502C don't
>> say anything about power consumption, only to use a 1 amp fuse. The
>> web page claims the newer models at least are low power or energy
>> efficient so I hooked it up to an $8.00, 60 watt inverter on a 12 v 22
>> amp hr lead acid gel cell.
>>
>> It only drew 1.5 amps from the battery but the trace looked blurry and
>> couldn't be adjusted. I hooked up another gel cell in parallel but
>> the current and trace didn't change a bit. I then plugged it back
>> into 120 ac and the trace was back in focus.
>>
>> Do oscilloscopes require a special sine wave inverter?
>
> Seems the brightness needs to be turned all the way down when on the
> inverter.
>

> Bret Cahill
>
> The output of that inverter is far from adequate for electronics equipment.

Not necessarily. I have used "power supplies from hell" when I had no
choice. Older CRT oscilloscopes have a regular transformer-based power
supply and they often aren't very happy with the "modified sine wave"
from cheap converters. Tube voltages may be lower and you can't get
proper focus, and there is always a risk something goes ... *PHUT*. But
I never had it happen, just a little sub-par performance.

The same goes for fan motors. When the power fails and I use an inverter
for our stove fans I have to crank the speed control much higher.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: Tom Biasi on

"Joerg" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Tom Biasi wrote:
>> "Bret Cahill" <BretCahill(a)peoplepc.com> wrote in message
>>> The markings on the housing of the 120 / 240 v ac Protek P-3502C don't
>>> say anything about power consumption, only to use a 1 amp fuse. The
>>> web page claims the newer models at least are low power or energy
>>> efficient so I hooked it up to an $8.00, 60 watt inverter on a 12 v 22
>>> amp hr lead acid gel cell.
>>>
>>> It only drew 1.5 amps from the battery but the trace looked blurry and
>>> couldn't be adjusted. I hooked up another gel cell in parallel but
>>> the current and trace didn't change a bit. I then plugged it back
>>> into 120 ac and the trace was back in focus.
>>>
>>> Do oscilloscopes require a special sine wave inverter?
>>
>> Seems the brightness needs to be turned all the way down when on the
>> inverter.
>>

>> Bret Cahill
>>
>> The output of that inverter is far from adequate for electronics
>> equipment.
>>

> Not necessarily. I have used "power supplies from hell" when I had no
> choice. Older CRT oscilloscopes have a regular transformer-based power
> supply and they often aren't very happy with the "modified sine wave"
> from cheap converters. Tube voltages may be lower and you can't get
> proper focus, and there is always a risk something goes ... *PHUT*. But
> I never had it happen, just a little sub-par performance.
>
> The same goes for fan motors. When the power fails and I use an inverter
> for our stove fans I have to crank the speed control much higher.
>
> --
> Regards, Joerg

OK so you partially disagree that the inverter is inadaquate then go on to
tell me how your use was less than satifactory.