From: Anand S on
I am developing some algorithms for edge detection.
How to measure the performance of an edge detector
From: ImageAnalyst on
On Aug 12, 1:19 am, "Anand S" <ks...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am developing some algorithms for edge detection.
> How to measure the performance of an edge detector
If it finds the edges that you think it should, then it's good.
Realize that what constitutes an edge is a judgment call.
From: Andrés Suárez on
On 12 ago, 07:19, "Anand S" <ks...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am developing some algorithms for edge detection.
> How to measure the performance of an edge detector

If you want to measure the speed of the algorithm, use the profiler
http://www.mathworks.com/products/featured/videos/?video=Optimizing-Performance

Regards,
Andrés
From: Walter Roberson on
Anand S wrote:
> I am developing some algorithms for edge detection.
> How to measure the performance of an edge detector

If you have a 2-second egg timer and a 5-second egg timer, then you can
measure the performance of the program to within 1 second no matter how long
it runs.
From: Malcolm McLean on
"Anand S" <ks.an(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message <i40088$sop$1(a)fred.mathworks.com>...
> I am developing some algorithms for edge detection.
> How to measure the performance of an edge detector

Download Lena. It's the head and shoulders of a Playboy centrefold, and the standard test image for digital image processing algorithms.

Then compare how your algorithm does versus competitors. A Google search on "Lena" and "edge detection" turned up several hits, which should lead ypu to the metrics other people use.