From: John McWilliams on
Ofnuts wrote:
> On 02/08/2010 09:04, Skylamar Jones wrote:
>> Hi. I'm new to this group so I don't know if someone posted a similar
>> question recently.
>>
>> My mom has 3000 slides taken by my dad, who has passed away. Because of
>> the space the slides take up in her home, my mom is weeding through
>> them, looking at them manually using a slide projector.
>>
>> She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
>> cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
>> is more than my mom wants to spend.
>>
>> I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
>> digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
>> Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.
>
> Digitizing slides at home is extremely labor intensive, unless you have
> one of these very expensive Nikon scanners with all their expensive
> options that make it just plain labor intensive.
>
> I'm facing the very same problem (except I'd be the one doing the
> scanning) but I'm taking another route: reduce my Dad's 3000 slides to a
> set of 100-200 worth passing to the next generations.

My first thought, too. Go through them with her, make notes and mark the
ones really worth keeping.
Good luck!

--
john mcwilliams
From: Ofnuts on
On 02/08/2010 09:04, Skylamar Jones wrote:
> Hi. I'm new to this group so I don't know if someone posted a similar
> question recently.
>
> My mom has 3000 slides taken by my dad, who has passed away. Because of
> the space the slides take up in her home, my mom is weeding through
> them, looking at them manually using a slide projector.
>
> She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
> cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
> is more than my mom wants to spend.
>
> I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
> digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
> Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sky

Comme to think of it... if you have a decent camera, there are slide
duplicators such as this:

<http://www.soligor.de/src/product_details.php?cPath=134_232&pid=47900&language=en>

This is a bit faster than the scanner.

--
Bertrand
From: tony cooper on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 09:16:49 -0400, John McWilliams
<jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>Ofnuts wrote:
>> On 02/08/2010 09:04, Skylamar Jones wrote:
>>> Hi. I'm new to this group so I don't know if someone posted a similar
>>> question recently.
>>>
>>> My mom has 3000 slides taken by my dad, who has passed away. Because of
>>> the space the slides take up in her home, my mom is weeding through
>>> them, looking at them manually using a slide projector.
>>>
>>> She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
>>> cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
>>> is more than my mom wants to spend.
>>>
>>> I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
>>> digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
>>> Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.
>>
>> Digitizing slides at home is extremely labor intensive, unless you have
>> one of these very expensive Nikon scanners with all their expensive
>> options that make it just plain labor intensive.
>>
>> I'm facing the very same problem (except I'd be the one doing the
>> scanning) but I'm taking another route: reduce my Dad's 3000 slides to a
>> set of 100-200 worth passing to the next generations.
>>
>My first thought, too. Go through them with her, make notes and mark the
>ones really worth keeping.
>Good luck!

I think most of us of a certain age have gone through this with either
their own slides or slides taken by a parent. I did, and I culled the
slides down to about 10% "keepers" and scanned them myself.

The process of weeding them out is quite enjoyable. Going through the
slides brings back a lot of memories. The process of scanning is less
enjoyable, but can be done over a period of time.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: gordito995 on

"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 09:16:49 -0400, John McWilliams
> <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Ofnuts wrote:

>>> Digitizing slides at home is extremely labor intensive, unless you have
>>> one of these very expensive Nikon scanners with all their expensive
>>> options that make it just plain labor intensive.
>>>
>>> I'm facing the very same problem (except I'd be the one doing the
>>> scanning) but I'm taking another route: reduce my Dad's 3000 slides to a
>>> set of 100-200 worth passing to the next generations.
>>>
>>My first thought, too. Go through them with her, make notes and mark the
>>ones really worth keeping.
>>Good luck!
>
> I think most of us of a certain age have gone through this with either
> their own slides or slides taken by a parent. I did, and I culled the
> slides down to about 10% "keepers" and scanned them myself.
>
> The process of weeding them out is quite enjoyable. Going through the
> slides brings back a lot of memories. The process of scanning is less
> enjoyable, but can be done over a period of time.
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Certainly, it is good advice to cull out the slides that have little or not
compelling reason to keep them. I also have been through this with my own
and my father's slides. Went from around 3500 to around 800.
Second, there are a number of flat bed scanners that can scan slides and
color film as well as opaque materials. These scanners are not as expensive
as a good slide scanner and will have a useful life beyond scanning the
slides.

Regards,

Gordo

From: ray on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 00:04:28 -0700, Skylamar Jones wrote:

> Hi. I'm new to this group so I don't know if someone posted a similar
> question recently.
>
> My mom has 3000 slides taken by my dad, who has passed away. Because of
> the space the slides take up in her home, my mom is weeding through
> them, looking at them manually using a slide projector.
>
> She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
> cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
> is more than my mom wants to spend.
>
> I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
> digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
> Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sky

TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch) applies here. You
can buy a decent flatbed scanner with slide/negative scanning
capabilities for around $100. It would then take a LONG time to process
them adequately. You might actually get through a few hundred before you
gave up. Strongly suggest you do a web search (google is one) to try and
find a lower cost solution.