From: Mike Jones on

I've had this problem with Dillo since 2.0, and have just discovered why.

With a default ./configure - make - make install I get a /usr/local/etc/
dillo tree with the default configs in it. No matter what I did, I kept
getting the "Can't find..." bug. Then I noticed that the final /dillo dir
in the tree only had 0700 permission set. A "chmod 0755" allowed the user-
called dillo to find it's dpidrc file and everything worked.

Hope this helps somebody.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: philo on
Mike Jones wrote:

> I've had this problem with Dillo since 2.0, and have just discovered why.
>
> With a default ./configure - make - make install I get a /usr/local/etc/
> dillo tree with the default configs in it. No matter what I did, I kept
> getting the "Can't find..." bug. Then I noticed that the final /dillo dir
> in the tree only had 0700 permission set. A "chmod 0755" allowed the user-
> called dillo to find it's dpidrc file and everything worked.
>
> Hope this helps somebody.

never came across that when using Dillo

did your fix hold up after a reboot?
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to philo:

> Mike Jones wrote:
>>
>> I've had this problem with Dillo since 2.0, and have just discovered
>> why.
>>
>> With a default ./configure - make - make install I get a
>> /usr/local/etc/ dillo tree with the default configs in it. No matter
>> what I did, I kept getting the "Can't find..." bug. Then I noticed that
>> the final /dillo dir in the tree only had 0700 permission set. A "chmod
>> 0755" allowed the user- called dillo to find it's dpidrc file and
>> everything worked.
>>
>> Hope this helps somebody.
>>

> never came across that when using Dillo
>
> did your fix hold up after a reboot?

Yup. Found and fixed the same thing with /usr/local/lib/dillo/ too.

Also installed to another machine, got the same thing, fixed it the same
way too. The first machine I could wonder if it was some legacy from some
project (overdue for a fresh install), but the second machine is a pretty
fresh stock Slack 12.2, so I'm at a loss as to why this happened.

Hmmm. Quick test. As root, create a dir, check permissions... I get 0700

Aha! I think I might have changed the default umask, and the Dillo
compile must have picked that up and generated root-only dirs for it's
stuff. I smell an assumption on the part of the Dillo dev-team. ;)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: philo on
Mike Jones wrote:
> Responding to philo:
>
>> Mike Jones wrote:
>>> I've had this problem with Dillo since 2.0, and have just discovered
>>> why.
>>>
>>> With a default ./configure - make - make install I get a
>>> /usr/local/etc/ dillo tree with the default configs in it. No matter
>>> what I did, I kept getting the "Can't find..." bug. Then I noticed that
>>> the final /dillo dir in the tree only had 0700 permission set. A "chmod
>>> 0755" allowed the user- called dillo to find it's dpidrc file and
>>> everything worked.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps somebody.
>>>

>> never came across that when using Dillo
>>
>> did your fix hold up after a reboot?
>

> Yup. Found and fixed the same thing with /usr/local/lib/dillo/ too.
>
> Also installed to another machine, got the same thing, fixed it the same
> way too. The first machine I could wonder if it was some legacy from some
> project (overdue for a fresh install), but the second machine is a pretty
> fresh stock Slack 12.2, so I'm at a loss as to why this happened.
>
> Hmmm. Quick test. As root, create a dir, check permissions... I get 0700
>
> Aha! I think I might have changed the default umask, and the Dillo
> compile must have picked that up and generated root-only dirs for it's
> stuff. I smell an assumption on the part of the Dillo dev-team. ;)

Glad you got it...

I've sometimes "cured" problems only to find the "fix" did not survive a
reboot
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to philo:

> Mike Jones wrote:
>> Responding to philo:

>>> never came across that when using Dillo
>>>
>>> did your fix hold up after a reboot?
>>

>> Yup. Found and fixed the same thing with /usr/local/lib/dillo/ too.
>>
>> Also installed to another machine, got the same thing, fixed it the
>> same way too. The first machine I could wonder if it was some legacy
>> from some project (overdue for a fresh install), but the second machine
>> is a pretty fresh stock Slack 12.2, so I'm at a loss as to why this
>> happened.
>>
>> Hmmm. Quick test. As root, create a dir, check permissions... I get
>> 0700
>>
>> Aha! I think I might have changed the default umask, and the Dillo
>> compile must have picked that up and generated root-only dirs for it's
>> stuff. I smell an assumption on the part of the Dillo dev-team. ;)
>>

> Glad you got it...
>
> I've sometimes "cured" problems only to find the "fix" did not survive a
> reboot

I'm still wondering about that need to reboot. Maybe its some kind of lib
thing where something needs to be re-read into the current running
processes? If I knew what that was I could kick it manually, but I
suppose with some things you really need to check it'll work after
rebooting, when the system defaults are reset.

Ah well. Now onto the new "undocumented feature" where Dillo 2.2
occasionally wants to download nothing instead of rendering something. %)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.