From: charliec on
I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
the Internet via a Linksys Port Router, so I can connect my Laptop as
needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored. Today,
that did not work and I had to power off the computer completely,
repower up and the connection was restored.

Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
there some other possible reason for this situation.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Charliec
From: Christopher Muto on
charliec(a)email.com wrote:
> I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
> the Internet via a Linksys Port Router, so I can connect my Laptop as
> needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
> updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
> connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
> of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored. Today,
> that did not work and I had to power off the computer completely,
> repower up and the connection was restored.
>
> Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
> there some other possible reason for this situation.
>
> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
>
> Charliec

have no idea what you mean by having a linksys router and using the 8300
as a host... and the model of the router would help get you more acurate
answers. but it is pretty typical of old linksys to give up the ghost
this way... dropping connections and requiring reboots more and more
frequently. proper cooling can help but it is probably near the end of
its life.