From: Kevin on
I have a Dell Dimension 4700, running Windows XP Home Edition SP2. It has
just decided not to boot, giving the " . . . previous attempts to boot have
failed at checkpoint Ithr . . ." error message. It won't get to the BIOS as
the POST fails resulting in the black screen with the above error message.

Looking in the Dell Support Forums, I see a few posts mentioning everything
from USB mice and keyboards to RAM chip unseating as the cause. Apparently,
"Ithr" has something to do with temperature monitoring of the Intel
processor. Why an unseated RAM chip or a USB keyboard or mouse would cause
this is unclear.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? How am I going to get the system to
boot to the point I can run diagnostics or do a repair install of Windows?

From: S.Lewis on

"Kevin" <webman6(a)hot4mail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension 4700, running Windows XP Home Edition SP2. It has
>just decided not to boot, giving the " . . . previous attempts to boot have
>failed at checkpoint Ithr . . ." error message. It won't get to the BIOS
>as the POST fails resulting in the black screen with the above error
>message.
>
> Looking in the Dell Support Forums, I see a few posts mentioning
> everything from USB mice and keyboards to RAM chip unseating as the cause.
> Apparently, "Ithr" has something to do with temperature monitoring of the
> Intel processor. Why an unseated RAM chip or a USB keyboard or mouse
> would cause this is unclear.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on this? How am I going to get the system to
> boot to the point I can run diagnostics or do a repair install of Windows?

Check the back of the system for the (A,B,C,D) LED code. G= Green A= Amber.

Then check here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/adtshoot.htm#wp1054305

I'd make sure all external devices to the system are disconnected other than
the monitor (just for testing) and see if there's any difference.

If not, I'd unplug and then remove the system battery for several minutes,
then attempt boot with the monitor and keyboard only - and attempt to get
into BIOS and default the BIOS settings and clear the event logs.

Start there...

Stew

From: S.Lewis on

"Kevin" <webman6(a)hot4mail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension 4700, running Windows XP Home Edition SP2. It has
>just decided not to boot, giving the " . . . previous attempts to boot have
>failed at checkpoint Ithr . . ." error message. It won't get to the BIOS
>as the POST fails resulting in the black screen with the above error
>message.
>
> Looking in the Dell Support Forums, I see a few posts mentioning
> everything from USB mice and keyboards to RAM chip unseating as the cause.
> Apparently, "Ithr" has something to do with temperature monitoring of the
> Intel processor. Why an unseated RAM chip or a USB keyboard or mouse
> would cause this is unclear.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on this? How am I going to get the system to
> boot to the point I can run diagnostics or do a repair install of Windows?

Kevin -

Here's a non-Dell site thread concerning the message. I note a reference was
made to using a 1703FB (and its internal USB hub) connected to an Optiplex
GX280.

Anyway, you may wish to scan the thread:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45171&pid=365931&mode=threaded&show=&st=&#entry365931

From: Kevin on

"S.Lewis" <stew1960(a)mail.com> wrote in message

> "Kevin" <webman6(a)hot4mail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a Dell Dimension 4700, running Windows XP Home Edition SP2. It has
>>just decided not to boot, giving the " . . . previous attempts to boot
>>have failed at checkpoint Ithr . . ." error message. It won't get to the
>>BIOS as the POST fails resulting in the black screen with the above error
>>message.
>>
>> Looking in the Dell Support Forums, I see a few posts mentioning
>> everything from USB mice and keyboards to RAM chip unseating as the
>> cause. Apparently, "Ithr" has something to do with temperature monitoring
>> of the Intel processor. Why an unseated RAM chip or a USB keyboard or
>> mouse would cause this is unclear.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas on this? How am I going to get the system to
>> boot to the point I can run diagnostics or do a repair install of
>> Windows?
>>

> Kevin -
>
> Here's a non-Dell site thread concerning the message. I note a reference
> was made to using a 1703FB (and its internal USB hub) connected to an
> Optiplex GX280.
>
> Anyway, you may wish to scan the thread:
>
> http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45171&pid=365931&mode=threaded&show=&st=&#entry365931

Thanks for the information. I have seen the thread on the Geeks To Go
forum, it was linked in a Google search. Of course, now my Dimension 4700
booted perfectly this evening. I've seen the information regarding checking
all the USB connections and so on and I have done that. I haven't popped
out the system battery, but I might do that anyway, just to see if it
prevents this from happening again. What do I need to pay attention to in
the BIOS? If you have any advice or a link I would be most appreciative.

From: S.Lewis on

"Kevin" <webman6(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960(a)mail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Kevin" <webman6(a)hot4mail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a Dell Dimension 4700, running Windows XP Home Edition SP2. It
>>>has just decided not to boot, giving the " . . . previous attempts to
>>>boot have failed at checkpoint Ithr . . ." error message. It won't get
>>>to the BIOS as the POST fails resulting in the black screen with the
>>>above error message.
>>>
>>> Looking in the Dell Support Forums, I see a few posts mentioning
>>> everything from USB mice and keyboards to RAM chip unseating as the
>>> cause. Apparently, "Ithr" has something to do with temperature
>>> monitoring of the Intel processor. Why an unseated RAM chip or a USB
>>> keyboard or mouse would cause this is unclear.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas on this? How am I going to get the system to
>>> boot to the point I can run diagnostics or do a repair install of
>>> Windows?
>>>

>> Kevin -
>>
>> Here's a non-Dell site thread concerning the message. I note a reference
>> was made to using a 1703FB (and its internal USB hub) connected to an
>> Optiplex GX280.
>>
>> Anyway, you may wish to scan the thread:
>>
>> http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45171&pid=365931&mode=threaded&show=&st=&#entry365931
>

> Thanks for the information. I have seen the thread on the Geeks To Go
> forum, it was linked in a Google search. Of course, now my Dimension 4700
> booted perfectly this evening. I've seen the information regarding
> checking all the USB connections and so on and I have done that. I
> haven't popped out the system battery, but I might do that anyway, just to
> see if it prevents this from happening again. What do I need to pay
> attention to in the BIOS? If you have any advice or a link I would be
> most appreciative.

Well, if it's booting okay now, I'd only go into BIOS and see if there's
anything in the system event log. (There may not be, but...)

In my experience, these somewhat cryptic "checkpoint" errors are almost
always hardware related at a very base level.

Yours is the first I've seen with this specific error.

Stew