From: Pat Conover on
"Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
> On 4/8/2010 9:47 AM, Pat Conover wrote:
>> "Ben Myers"<ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message

>>> Well, the "confusion" could be caused by CMOS getting messed up by a
>>> CR2032 battery running out of juice. Maybe not. Maybe so. Don't rule
>>> it
>>> out. And a change of battery may be right for a system now around 3 or
>>> 4
>>> years old. Inexpensive, and can't hurt... Ben Myers
>>
>> Chris and Ben, I pulled the battery last night, waited a while,
>> reinstalled
>> and the machine booted to a confused BIOS. BIOS reported low system
>> power/voltage. I reset the clock and other settings and booted to the
>> desktop. Proceeded to update AVG and crashed to the BSOD. Pulled the
>> battery again and will get a new CR2032. Will any battery brand do okay?
>> Any to avoid, like the OEM no-name one. First CMOS battery I ever had go
>> bad! Thanks for the tips, a $5 battery is much cheaper and less
>> headaches
>> than new memory in this economy.
>>
>> Thanks, Pat
>>

> Any brand of CR2032 is OK. You can find them at Walmart for cheap... Ben
> Myers

Sorry for the late update to this thread. Anyway, I replaced the CMOS
battery and booted into the BIOS, reset everything, don't know how I missed
the message saying the BIOS battery had failed way...back in 2006, booted to
the desktop, so far so good. Then the machine crashed, but no BSOD this
time, maybe its getting better :) So I removed both memory sticks and blew
the slots out with air, as suggested by William, tried one stick and then
another and so far it is running fine. I also found that it will run with
one stick in any of the four slots. Ran the Dell diagnostics on everything
and all passed. So far its been running about a week, with no problems. I
never heard of dust on the memory slots causing such problems, and still
don't know if that was the cause. But all of my other machines do have all
slots filled, so no open slots for dust to get in.

Thanks to Chris and William for the help, you too Ben! Pat