From: Colin B. on
Hey all;

We just attempted to switch from DS5.2 to DS6.3.1, and had things go
drastically sideways on us. The change worked for a while, but after
several hours, the load started to go up on the new servers, until it
was pegged at ~120 and DS became unresponsive.

We have two suffixes on these hosts. The errors log was giving us the
strangest thing I've ever seen! Feast your eyes on this:

"[04/Aug/2010:08:47:19 -0600] - WARNING<20805> - Backend Database - conn=-1 op=0 msgId=-1 - search is not indexed base='***SUFFIX #2***' filter='(&(***FILTER FOR SUFFIX #1***)) scope='sub'

I've chopped out the detailed base and search filter, but the essentials
are there: The base is for one suffix, and the filters are for another!
The applications themselves are NOT requesting these searches.

Ultimately, we rolled back our changeover, so we're now pointing to the
old servers (V890s, vs. the new T5240s) again, which are idling at 2% busy.
Curiously, the load average on the new servers has remained >100 for several
hours since they stopped receiving requests.

Has anyone seen behaviour like this? For that matter, has anyone actually
gotten DS6.3.1 to work in a moderately large and busy environment?

Thanks,
Colin