From: rumplestiltskin on
I want to be really clear about this problem because I've seen the
same question posted elsewhere with 50 answers that have nothing to do
with the question.

I am running a server that has a shared "users" folder. When a user
(on an XP Pro machine) logs into the share, the user is asked his/her
username and password. This is perfect. However, that username and
password are stored until the user logs out or restarts the PC. As I
have many users of that PC (it's in a classroom), I do NOT want the
username and password stored when the user closes the window into that
server share. The next user who wants to use that share should be able
to enter his/her username and password WITHOUT having to logout of the
PC or restart it.

On Mac clients, this is not a problem as there is a "disconnect"
button that accomplishes this instantly. How do I make Windows forget
the username and password as soon as the share window is closed?

Thanks.
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"rumplestiltskin" <exapplerep(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to be really clear about this problem because I've seen the
> same question posted elsewhere with 50 answers that have nothing to do
> with the question.
>
> I am running a server that has a shared "users" folder. When a user
> (on an XP Pro machine) logs into the share, the user is asked his/her
> username and password. This is perfect. However, that username and
> password are stored until the user logs out or restarts the PC. As I
> have many users of that PC (it's in a classroom), I do NOT want the
> username and password stored when the user closes the window into that
> server share. The next user who wants to use that share should be able
> to enter his/her username and password WITHOUT having to logout of the
> PC or restart it.
>
> On Mac clients, this is not a problem as there is a "disconnect"
> button that accomplishes this instantly. How do I make Windows forget
> the username and password as soon as the share window is closed?
>
> Thanks.

The general answer is: Put the following commands into the logon script (or
type them manually):
net use /persistent:no
net use * /del /yes

Please note:
- Both commands are required just once but can be executed any number of
times.
- The settings are specific to each Windows logon account.

From: rumplestiltskin on
On Jul 11, 8:59 am, "Pegasus [MVP]" <n...(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
> "rumplestiltskin" <exapple...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I want to be really clear about this problem because I've seen the
> > same question posted elsewhere with 50 answers that have nothing to do
> > with the question.
>
> > I am running a server that has a shared "users" folder. When a user
> > (on an XP Pro machine) logs into the share, the user is asked his/her
> > username and password. This is perfect. However, that username and
> > password are stored until the user logs out or restarts the PC. As I
> > have many users of that PC (it's in a classroom), I do NOT want the
> > username and password stored when the user closes the window into that
> > server share. The next user who wants to use that share should be able
> > to enter his/her username and password WITHOUT having to logout of the
> > PC or restart it.
>
> > On Mac clients, this is not a problem as there is a "disconnect"
> > button that accomplishes this instantly. How do I make Windows forget
> > the username and password as soon as the share window is closed?
>
> > Thanks.
>
> The general answer is: Put the following commands into the logon script (or
> type them manually):
> net use /persistent:no
> net use * /del /yes
>
> Please note:
> - Both commands are required just once but can be executed any number of
> times.
> - The settings are specific to each Windows logon account.

Where might I find this "logon script"?

Thanks.
From: rumplestiltskin on
On Jul 11, 8:59 am, "Pegasus [MVP]" <n...(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
> "rumplestiltskin" <exapple...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I want to be really clear about this problem because I've seen the
> > same question posted elsewhere with 50 answers that have nothing to do
> > with the question.
>
> > I am running a server that has a shared "users" folder. When a user
> > (on an XP Pro machine) logs into the share, the user is asked his/her
> > username and password. This is perfect. However, that username and
> > password are stored until the user logs out or restarts the PC. As I
> > have many users of that PC (it's in a classroom), I do NOT want the
> > username and password stored when the user closes the window into that
> > server share. The next user who wants to use that share should be able
> > to enter his/her username and password WITHOUT having to logout of the
> > PC or restart it.
>
> > On Mac clients, this is not a problem as there is a "disconnect"
> > button that accomplishes this instantly. How do I make Windows forget
> > the username and password as soon as the share window is closed?
>
> > Thanks.
>
> The general answer is: Put the following commands into the logon script (or
> type them manually):
> net use /persistent:no
> net use * /del /yes
>
> Please note:
> - Both commands are required just once but can be executed any number of
> times.
> - The settings are specific to each Windows logon account.

The "net use /persistent:no" does not seem to work. I issued it from
the command line then logged into the network share. It asked me for
the username and password (which is good). I then closed the window
into that network share, went back into Network Places and double-
clicked on the network share again. It opened immediately without the
desired login dialog. So the connection does still seem to be
persistent.
From: rumplestiltskin on
On Jul 11, 8:59 am, "Pegasus [MVP]" <n...(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
> "rumplestiltskin" <exapple...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I want to be really clear about this problem because I've seen the
> > same question posted elsewhere with 50 answers that have nothing to do
> > with the question.
>
> > I am running a server that has a shared "users" folder. When a user
> > (on an XP Pro machine) logs into the share, the user is asked his/her
> > username and password. This is perfect. However, that username and
> > password are stored until the user logs out or restarts the PC. As I
> > have many users of that PC (it's in a classroom), I do NOT want the
> > username and password stored when the user closes the window into that
> > server share. The next user who wants to use that share should be able
> > to enter his/her username and password WITHOUT having to logout of the
> > PC or restart it.
>
> > On Mac clients, this is not a problem as there is a "disconnect"
> > button that accomplishes this instantly. How do I make Windows forget
> > the username and password as soon as the share window is closed?
>
> > Thanks.
>
> The general answer is: Put the following commands into the logon script (or
> type them manually):
> net use /persistent:no
> net use * /del /yes
>
> Please note:
> - Both commands are required just once but can be executed any number of
> times.
> - The settings are specific to each Windows logon account.

Pegasus,

Okay; your two commands seem to be the basis of what I need to do but
it looks like it needs to be a batch file. I used Notepad, typed in
those two lines, and saved the file as "logoff.bat". Then, when I
double-clicked the file, you could see the Cmd window appear (and I
think there's a command to make this appearance not happen, IIRC) and
the next time someone tries to access that network share, the
connection dialog appears. So this works.

Is there a way to add in one more iine of code to initiate the login
again? What I mean by that is if some form of the "net use" command
would, in essence, double-click on that network share and bring up the
login dialog? I'll play with this but suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.