From: Ted Zieglar on
"Like I said, Windows does not use all available physical memory (it
rarely ever even comes close.)"

Lol...Now all of us can see what an expert you are!
---
Ted Zieglar
"Backup is a computer user's best friend."

From: Alec S. on
"Ted Zieglar" <teddy.z(a)news.invalid> wrote in message news:%23iplT351GHA.4108(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> "Like I said, Windows does not use all available physical memory (it
> rarely ever even comes close.)"
>
> Lol...Now all of us can see what an expert you are!

Huh? I suppose you're an expert? Maybe you should take your complaints to a nagging newsgroup.

--
Alec S.
news/alec->synetech/cjb/net

From: Jim on

> I'm interested in making use of the registry hack DisablePagingExecutive=1
> in
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
> Manager\Memory
> Management].
> ("This entry specifies whether user-mode and kernel-mode drivers and
> kernel-mode system code can be paged to disk when not in use. If the value
> of
> this entry is 1, the drivers and kernel must remain in physical memory.")
>
> I can't find any clear guidance on how much system RAM is deemed
> sufficient
> for this setting to be safely used. Also, how much physical RAM will
> actually get tied up by this process on average? Is there any way to
> measure
> how much a particular system is using for these drivers and Kernel?
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Andrew
Isn't it the size of non paged pool? Isn't non paged pool named that for a
reason? Sending the disk driver to the pagefile seems like a prescription
for disaster.

However, VMS which is the distant ancestor of NT never paged the executive
unless the amount of physical memory was extremely small. The resulting hit
on performance (or paging the executive) was severe to say the least.

So, I am surprised to learn that XP can send parts of the executive to the
pagefile all by itself. After all, there aren't very many XP systems which
don't have what seems like a very large pool of RAM.
Jim

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: SVCHost.exe - Application Error