From: Richard Evans on
I'm using XP Pro SP3.

I want Auto Arrange globaly disabled unless I specifically enable it.
I have a couple of folders that I use frequently and want an Icon View
with the icons arranged in a certain position in the window. I have
unchecked Auto Arrange and checked Align to Grid, but the folders
intermittently revert to Auto Arrange, forcing me to manually
reorganize them.

It happened just now when I went into desktop properties and turned
off my second monitor. The folders reverted to Auto Arrange. The
desktop icons stayed put.

How can I totally disable Auto Arrange?
From: Richard Evans on
Richard Evans <infodex(a)mindspring.com> wrote:

>I'm using XP Pro SP3.
>
>I want Auto Arrange globaly disabled unless I specifically enable it.
>I have a couple of folders that I use frequently and want an Icon View
>with the icons arranged in a certain position in the window. I have
>unchecked Auto Arrange and checked Align to Grid, but the folders
>intermittently revert to Auto Arrange, forcing me to manually
>reorganize them.
>
>It happened just now when I went into desktop properties and turned
>off my second monitor. The folders reverted to Auto Arrange. The
>desktop icons stayed put.
>
>How can I totally disable Auto Arrange?

Upon closer examination, the folders are not reset to Auto Arrange.
They are still set "Align to Grid" but sorted in alphabetical order.

So, I guess my question is: Why are the icons being rearranged at all?
From: Steve Urbach on
On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 16:55:31 -0500, Richard Evans <infodex(a)mindspring.com>
wrote:

>Richard Evans <infodex(a)mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm using XP Pro SP3.
>>
>>I want Auto Arrange globaly disabled unless I specifically enable it.
>>I have a couple of folders that I use frequently and want an Icon View
>>with the icons arranged in a certain position in the window. I have
>>unchecked Auto Arrange and checked Align to Grid, but the folders
>>intermittently revert to Auto Arrange, forcing me to manually
>>reorganize them.
>>
>>It happened just now when I went into desktop properties and turned
>>off my second monitor. The folders reverted to Auto Arrange. The
>>desktop icons stayed put.
>>
>>How can I totally disable Auto Arrange?
>
>Upon closer examination, the folders are not reset to Auto Arrange.
>They are still set "Align to Grid" but sorted in alphabetical order.
>
>So, I guess my question is: Why are the icons being rearranged at all?
There is a folder setting option to apply "Folder Views" To ALL or RESET ALL.
That might be getting triggered.
There is also a setting for how many folder settings to "remember". You should
not raise this number on a "meets minimal requirements" system.
M$ "tweakUI" tool can change obscure settings. Be careful :)