From: Gareth Jones on
In message <hu6ql0$mp3$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Paul
<nospam(a)needed.com> writes
>To test basic SATA performance, try the HDTune read benchmark.
>
>http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
>
>It won't help explain your format issue, but it will tell you
>whether things are "normal" or not.

Well I didn't use that one (but thanks for the link anyway), however I
did do a rough speed test, and all looks fairly 'normal', with the on
board SATA getting around 85 MB/s out of the drives, and the PCI card
giving about 65MB/s

So that still doesn't explain the stupidly fast format for the on board
drive
??

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
From: Gareth Jones on
In message <v9mf06drqveehtcqsii3ddrpm3rcl7vv4k(a)4ax.com>, Foke
<Foke(a)foke.com.invalid> writes
>And why the 'habit' of doing a full format? Do a quick format and get on
>with things.

I knew someone would try and pick me up on not doing a quick format LOL.

I think its a case of 'why not'

If I was building these up every day for a living, maybe I would skip
this step to save time, however as it is, even with a full format, I
can indeed do what you suggest and 'get on with things' by simply
leaving the computer run and doing something else. I mean ... the lawn
has to get cut at some point :-)

From: Donald White on
On 6/5/2010 7:36 AM, Gareth Jones wrote:
> In message <hu6ql0$mp3$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Paul
> <nospam(a)needed.com> writes
>> To test basic SATA performance, try the HDTune read benchmark.
>>
>> http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
>>
>> It won't help explain your format issue, but it will tell you
>> whether things are "normal" or not.
>

> Well I didn't use that one (but thanks for the link anyway), however I
> did do a rough speed test, and all looks fairly 'normal', with the on
> board SATA getting around 85 MB/s out of the drives, and the PCI card
> giving about 65MB/s
>
> So that still doesn't explain the stupidly fast format for the on board
> drive
> ??

I don't do a full format, but after some new and faulty drives I have
taken to running the drive manufacturer's diagnostics before putting
drives in service to do a full scan or recertify or whatever the
manufacturer calls it.

Don