From: Steve Wright on
Hi,

I have a number of disks on my PC which run constantly while the PC is
powered on.

Is there a way to turn off these disks while they are not being used and
have them spin up only when they are needed - thus saving power?

Steve Wright (UK)
From: Bob Willard on
Steve Wright wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a number of disks on my PC which run constantly while the PC is
> powered on.
>
> Is there a way to turn off these disks while they are not being used and
> have them spin up only when they are needed - thus saving power?
>
> Steve Wright (UK)

Sure. On XP, rt.click on the desktop, then click on Properties,
then click on ScreenSaver, then click on Power, then pull down
the "Turn off hard disks" window to pick an interval. Other flavors
of Windows are similar.
--
Cheers, Bob
From: Jerry on
Control Panel > Power Options - set the times as you see fit.

From: Chuck on
You may get involved in the middle of a very long standing argument over
disk drive reliability.
Seems that powerup/down spinup/down cycles can noticeably impact drive
longevity.

From: Steve Wright on
Thanks for your help Bob. I just want to check that the disk will auto
spin-up when it is needed. Please can you confirm?

Regards,

Steve.