From: M.Miura on
Hi.

My friend is working for a computer company where the LAN security is so
tight.
One day he brought the memory stick to finish his work at home and put it on
his home PC to read. Then all of sudden, all the HDD, not only the stick,
connected the PC automatically changed the security status and refused to
access, even he himself is the administrator. So he said this memory stick
might have some program, which is running automatically, to change it as
it's placed into another PC.
Then is that kind of thing really possible?

thanks.

M.M.

From: Don Phillipson on
"M.Miura" <m_miura(a)excite.com> wrote in message

> My friend is working for a computer company where the LAN security is so
> tight.
> One day he brought the memory stick to finish his work at home and put it
on
> his home PC to read. Then all of sudden, all the HDD, not only the stick,
> connected the PC automatically changed the security status and refused to
> access, even he himself is the administrator. So he said this memory stick
> might have some program, which is running automatically, to change it as
> it's placed into another PC.
> Then is that kind of thing really possible?

Yes this is possible. (Proof is that it happened.)
Your friend needs special help from the office System Admin.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: Shenan Stanley on
M.Miura wrote:
> My friend is working for a computer company where the LAN security
> is so tight.
> One day he brought the memory stick to finish his work at home and
> put it on his home PC to read. Then all of sudden, all the HDD, not
> only the stick, connected the PC automatically changed the security
> status and refused to access, even he himself is the administrator.
> So he said this memory stick might have some program, which is
> running automatically, to change it as it's placed into another PC.
> Then is that kind of thing really possible?

Possible? Yes.

Probable that something else happened? Yes. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP