From: TomF on
I'm interested in improving my python design by studying a large,
well-designed codebase. Someone (not a python programmer) suggested
Django. I realize that Django is popular, but can someone comment on
whether its code is well-designed and worth studying?

Thanks,
-Tom

From: Carl Banks on
On May 3, 12:24 pm, TomF <tomf.sess...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm interested in improving my python design by studying a large,
> well-designed codebase.  Someone (not a python programmer) suggested
> Django.  I realize that Django is popular, but can someone comment on
> whether its code is well-designed and worth studying?

I once delved into django because I wanted to use a couple of the
administrative tools for non-web tasks, and found it to be
disappointingly ad hoc. It it makes some assumptions about file
locations and module names (unnecessarily, IMO). It works well as
long as someone sticks to the rigid conventions, but can't cope well
with deviances. Therefore I'd call its codebase less than exemplary.

As a tool it's quite good (as long as you can stick to the prescribed
layout) but that's a different question.

Carl Banks
From: Bruno Desthuilliers on
TomF a �crit :
> I'm interested in improving my python design by studying a large,
> well-designed codebase. Someone (not a python programmer) suggested
> Django. I realize that Django is popular, but can someone comment on
> whether its code is well-designed and worth studying?

Carl makes some valid points in his answer, and there are indeed a
couple dark corners in this area - bit it's just a part of the whole
framework. There are still things worth studying in Django IHMO,
specially if you're interested in seeing metaclasses and descriptors at
work.

From: Michael.Coll-Barth on

> From: alex23

> (I also think there's value to be gained in studying _bad_ code,
> too...)

Oh, very true. And not just true for python. But, only if an 'expoert'
points out why it is bad and provides an alternative. And saying things
like, "it isn't pyhonic" or that such and such is a more "pythonic way"
is NOT helpful.

From: Carl Banks on
On May 4, 12:37 am, Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.
42.desthuilli...(a)websiteburo.invalid> wrote:
> TomF a écrit :
>
> > I'm interested in improving my python design by studying a large,
> > well-designed codebase.  Someone (not a python programmer) suggested
> > Django.  I realize that Django is popular, but can someone comment on
> > whether its code is well-designed and worth studying?
>
> Carl makes some valid points in his answer, and there are indeed a
> couple dark corners in this area - bit it's just a part of the whole
> framework. There are still things worth studying in Django IHMO,
> specially if you're interested in seeing metaclasses and descriptors at
> work.

Absolutely. I said it was "less than exemplary", i.e., still pretty
good.

Carl Banks
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4