From: Christian Heimes on
Laszlo Nagy wrote:
> However, it won't work for temporary files. Temporary files are just
> file-like objects, and their name is '<fdopen>'. I guess I could open a
> temporary file with os.open, and then use os.dup, but that is low level
> stuff. Then I have to use os.* methods, and the file object won't be
> iterable. tempfile.NamedTempFile is not better, because it cannot be
> reopened under Windows.

On POSIX OSes like Linux a temporary file *is* a real file. It just
doesn't have a name on the file system anymore. The concept is called an
anonymous file. Python creates the file in the tmp directory and unlinks
the name. The file still needs resources on the file system but you can
"see" it. The /proc/PID/fd/ directory will show the temporary files.

In order to copy the file handler you have to os.dup() the file
descriptor (file_object.fileno()) and os.fdopen() it to get a file
object. The Python documentation and the man pages dup(2), fileno(3) and
fopen(3) will give you more information.

Christian

Pages: 1
Prev: Django as exemplary design
Next: PyQt Ram Usage