From: Ed from AZ on
I was looking through my Add/Remove Programs list and saw the
following. I have a Dell Latitude D600 with XP SP3. I use VB 6.0
(Classic).

The MSXML KBs stacked up? The .NET updates? Do I really need
these?

-- Windows Live OneCare Scanner
-- MSXML 4.0 SP2 KBs 936181, 954430, 973688 w/ MSXML 6 SP2 KB 973686
-- VIsual C++ 2005 & 2008 Redistributables
-- MS .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1
-- Memory Key Boot Utility

Ed
From: Shenan Stanley on
Ed from AZ wrote:
> I was looking through my Add/Remove Programs list and saw the
> following. I have a Dell Latitude D600 with XP SP3. I use VB 6.0
> (Classic).
>
> The MSXML KBs stacked up? The .NET updates? Do I really need
> these?
>
> -- Windows Live OneCare Scanner
> -- MSXML 4.0 SP2 KBs 936181, 954430, 973688 w/ MSXML 6 SP2 KB 973686
> -- VIsual C++ 2005 & 2008 Redistributables
> -- MS .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1
> -- Memory Key Boot Utility

-- Maybe - if you have nothing else.
-- Leave alone
-- Leave alone
-- Leave alone
-- What is that?

It's not like it has been hurting you and/or you won't gain much in
performance or space getting rid of them and chances are they got installed
because you told them to install (either knowingly or unknowingly - but in
any case they could have all been knowingly if you had paid attention) - so
what is it you are hoping to accomplish should you get rid of those things
as opposed to things you know you don't need? ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Ed from AZ on
Thanks for the response.

I have an older laptop, and it often runs very sluggish, especially
when booting.
As I'm working through implementing a new program (AlacrityPC), the
first bits of advice are to peruse the Add/Remove Programs list as see
what's there that you don't know about or remember, and see if you
might no longer need them. Less to initialize at boot and keep tabs
of shile running, yes?

So I'm hoping to accomplish a leaner, cleaner system that boots faster
and runs better.
(Is that the Holy Grail??? 8>/ )

I was especially wondering (not necesarily concerned) about the
multiple MSXML and .NET updates stacked on top of each other.
Especially when I saw the MSXML version jump from 4 to 6. And the
Visual C++ Redistributables?? Don't even know what those are for.

But you're right - they're not taking up all that much space.
Don't know what they eat in terms of running memory or time to boot.
(My biggest vexation - it can take over five minutes to complete a
boot up! Don't know how much of that is due to AGV and Spyware
touching everything as it boots, though. I used CClean once and got a
blazing fast boot afterwards - but it almost immediately bogged down
again.)

Thanks for the help.
Ed

From: Shenan Stanley on
Ed from AZ wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I have an older laptop, and it often runs very sluggish, especially
> when booting.
>
> As I'm working through implementing a new program (AlacrityPC), the
> first bits of advice are to peruse the Add/Remove Programs list as
> see what's there that you don't know about or remember, and see if you
> might no longer need them. Less to initialize at boot and keep tabs
> of shile running, yes?
>
> So I'm hoping to accomplish a leaner, cleaner system that boots
> faster and runs better. (Is that the Holy Grail??? 8>/ )
>
> I was especially wondering (not necesarily concerned) about the
> multiple MSXML and .NET updates stacked on top of each other.
> Especially when I saw the MSXML version jump from 4 to 6. And the
> Visual C++ Redistributables?? Don't even know what those are for.
>
> But you're right - they're not taking up all that much space.
> Don't know what they eat in terms of running memory or time to boot.
> (My biggest vexation - it can take over five minutes to complete a
> boot up! Don't know how much of that is due to AGV and Spyware
> touching everything as it boots, though. I used CClean once and
> got a blazing fast boot afterwards - but it almost immediately bogged
> down again.)

Please give the specs of your 'older laptop'. For example...

Dell Precision M2400 laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz processor, 8GB
memory, Nvidia Quadro FX 370M video card with 256MB (non-shared) memory and
a Seagate 320GB hard disk drive with Windows XP Professional Edition
(32-bit) with Service Pack 3 and all current security patches installed.

Use something like Belarc Advisor to obtain that information for free.

As for AlacrityPC... I would hesitate to use anything last updated in April
2009. I am more of a 'do it myself' type - I am not telling you what to do.
I do not really know much more about it than what I read on their web page.

Seems to me it probably just stops a bunch of running services for you (that
are unlikely to be needed while playing a game) and probably can start them
back up for you later. Not a bad plan - but really - probably only squeezes
out a few more FPS on medium-end games.

You'll want to be sure you have the latest hardware drivers (video and
network in particular for online gaming.) Those can make some difference in
performance. And it is not how much you have installed for most people that
makes the difference - but how much you haveing running at a given time
using resources other than disk space. Most modern computers have so much
disk space - they are not going to lose much until 100s of GBs are used...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: MowGreen on
Ed from AZ wrote:
> (My biggest vexation - it can take over five minutes to complete a
> boot up! Don't know how much of that is due to AGV and Spyware
> touching everything as it boots, though. I used CClean once and got a
> blazing fast boot afterwards - but it almost immediately bogged down
> again.)

Is a Version of Office installed ? It creates a huge amount of temp files.
What is " Spyware " ... Perhaps you meant SuperAntispyware ?
Open the System Configuration tool by going to Start > Run > type in
msconfig
Press Enter or click OK.
Click the Startup tab.
UNcheck the boxes next to any superfluous programs that are loading.
EX: QuickTime/Office
There's little time to be saved by having superfluous programs loading
on boot. Just open them when you want to use them.
After you've pared down the Startup programs, click the Apply button,
then OK. You'll be presented with a notice that the system must be
restarted. Do so. Put a check in the box in the message box next to
" Do not show this message again " (or similar verbiage),
Click OK.

If running CCleaner sped up the system then it's most likely an
accumulation of Temp files and, perhaps, "Spyware" loading on boot that
causes the system to boot slowly and then bog down. The latest editon of
AVG contains an anti-spyware component and it may be conflicting with
"Spyware", if it's actively monitoring the system.

If all software recently installed was followed by a reboot, then it's
safe to delete the contents of Temp. Go to Start > Run type in
&temp&
Push Enter or click OK
The User Account's Temp folder that you are logged in as will open.
Delete all contents of Temp and empty the Recycle Bin.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com