From: sherlockomes on
Can anyone tell me if this should be installed as the next step up from .NET
3.5 SP1 . I have managed to download and install it after 3 hours of
persistent installation errors wherby it wouldn't install client profile part
of main web installation programme.I managed to resolve by downloading .NET 4
client profile programme separately from the .NET Framework 4 (standalone
installer).
Now that i have installed it i am wondering if it is necessary or is it
still in the development stage ie a beta version and should i leave it now
that it is installed? Any info /advice.... cheers S..omes
From: Shenan Stanley on
sherlockomes wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if this should be installed as the next step up
> from .NET
> 3.5 SP1 . I have managed to download and install it after 3 hours of
> persistent installation errors wherby it wouldn't install client
> profile part of main web installation programme.I managed to
> resolve by downloading .NET 4 client profile programme separately
> from the .NET Framework 4 (standalone installer).
> Now that i have installed it i am wondering if it is necessary or
> is it still in the development stage ie a beta version and should i
> leave it now that it is installed? Any info /advice.... cheers
> S..omes

Did you _need_ .NET 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5?

What are *you* using them for?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Do I need still need older versions of the .NET Framework on my system after
installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 [and/or .NET Framework 4.0]?
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2009/04/20/9557946.aspx

From: sherlockomes on
To be honest *i* didn't even know *i* used them...I thought i was more of a
third party in that respect.I use the keyboard and watch the screen and let
the operating system *use * them if that is what it has to do to get certain
applications working etc. All i know is that they are an ever increasing
nightmare to install and am happy just to get them showing up as successful
updates.
I take it from your rather patronising and unhelpful reply that this is the
most up to date and necessary download in the .NET Framework saga ? cheers!

From: Shenan Stanley on
sherlockomes wrote:
> To be honest *i* didn't even know *i* used them...I thought i was
> more of a third party in that respect.I use the keyboard and watch
> the screen and let the operating system *use * them if that is what
> it has to do to get certain applications working etc. All i know is
> that they are an ever increasing nightmare to install and am happy
> just to get them showing up as successful updates.
> I take it from your rather patronising and unhelpful reply that
> this is the most up to date and necessary download in the .NET
> Framework saga ? cheers!

Wow.

So now it is patronizing having someone self-reflect to engage in active
thought and figure out what they are doing/what their needs are in order to
assist them (as they asked) in making a decision about something that in the
end only affects them?

Interesting you took my simple question as patronizing instead of the help
it was intended as. I guess it reflects the way people think now.

By the way - anything on your computer is being used by you. Whether you
want to think of it that way or not - without you having some purpose for
it - you wouldn't have the computer or the many things on it. While there
may be inactive programs installed on your computer and even active ones you
do not understand fully - they are there because you chose to use something
on the computer (the OS came with it when it was installed, you installed a
video card driver that utilized the .NET Framework, etc.) and they ended up
there. Whether they stick around on the computer is also up to you.

That is *not* being patronizing, nor is the *stars* around words that need
to be emphasized. That is just stating things that if thought about might
help one answer their own question. Unformtunately - so many people these
days see anything other than the 'quick and direct answer' as worthless,
something they did not ask for or... patronizing.

*shrug*

Teach a man to fish and all that.

--
Shenan Stanley