From: Newbie on
As mentioned in another thread I am moving to a new Imac (500GB). I
have never partitioned my HDs before but realize that if I am going to
consider it, now is the time.

So my question to the more experienced people here:
Do you partition your HD?
How do you see pros/cons?
How many partitions do you use, what for, what sizes?

Thanks.
From: commiebastard on
On Jun 24, 7:19 am, Newbie <new...(a)no.spam> wrote:
> As mentioned in another thread I am moving to a new Imac (500GB). I
> have never partitioned my HDs before but realize that if I am going to
> consider it, now is the time.
>
> So my question to the more experienced people here:
> Do you partition your HD?
> How do you see pros/cons?
> How many partitions do you use, what for, what sizes?
>
> Thanks.

Yes, I do.

There are no cons as far as I can see.

On my Powerbook, I've got a 500 GB hard internal hard drive that I
partitioned 300 GB for OS X and 200 GB for Linux.

In addition, I've got an external 500 GB hard drive that is
partitioned
150 GB for Time Machine, and the other 350 GB partitioned into 3
other
volumes that I use for various purposes (mostly storing movies, mp3s,
and other data that I split betwen OS X and Linux).

Backup your data, then follow the numerous tutorials out there for
splitting up your hard drive. I used disk utility do do my partitions
on
the Powerbook.

It's not recommended that you use the same internal drive on your
computer that your OS is stored on for Time Machine backups, and Time
Machine will complain if you do select a drive on the same machine.
This
is a security concern, because obviously if your computer hardware
goes
down, then so do your Time Machine backups.
From: Newbie on
In article
<8012e6cf-5e1f-43ed-9f6c-416cfc57cdfe(a)w12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
commiebastard <oraclmaster(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Backup your data, then follow the numerous tutorials out there for
> splitting up your hard drive.

This is a so-far-unused computer with no data. That's why I thought now
is a good time.

How about this partition scheme:

P1. A working copy of OSX
P2. Another bootable copy of OSX, as backup (more convenient than dvd)
P3. Non-apple apps I buy or download
P4. My own work

Would my home directory /Users/Newbie hav to go into P1, along with the
OS, or can it be anywhere?

Not sure if P3 and P4 need to be separated. The meaningful separation
appears to be between Apple and non-Apple stuff.
From: commiebastard on
On Jun 24, 7:55 am, Newbie <new...(a)no.spam> wrote:
> In article
> <8012e6cf-5e1f-43ed-9f6c-416cfc57c...(a)w12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
>
> commiebastard <oraclmas...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Backup your data, then follow the numerous tutorials out there for
> > splitting up your hard drive.
>
> This is a so-far-unused computer with no data. That's why I thought now
> is a good time.
>
> How about this partition scheme:
>
> P1. A working copy of OSX
> P2. Another bootable copy of OSX, as backup (more convenient than dvd)
> P3. Non-apple apps I buy or download
> P4. My own work
>
> Would my home directory /Users/Newbie hav to go into P1, along with the
> OS, or can it be anywhere?
>
> Not sure if P3 and P4 need to be separated. The meaningful separation
> appears to be between Apple and non-Apple stuff.

You don't need a bootable copy of OS X on a partition on your computer
IMO. When you boot OS X from DVD, it has a Disk Utility application
that you can use to repartition your hard drive if you want to move
stuff around. (Doing so reformats your hard drive erasing all data, so
have your data backed up first.) And if you use it with OS X itself on
one of the partitions, there may be nefarious effects involving the
deletion of the software doing the deleting, etc...

You could have one partition be your bootable OS X installation, and
various other partitions for data, home directory etc...

Why would you want non Apple apps on a separate partition unless they
run on another operating system? If they run natively on Apple OS X,
you could store them on a separate partition formatted for OS X if you
are worried about their interaction with Apple applications, that is
perfectly fine to do.

One of the main reasons for keeping your data on a separate disk from
your bootable OS install is for data protection in the event of system
crash, so any scheme you should keep that in mind when designing your
partitions.

Remember though, that resizing/deleting any partition on the disk will
necessitate the erasure of data on all partitions on that disk so the
resizing can take place. (At least with Disk Utility). You will
require the OS X DVD to do so, so as I said before, having a bootable
OS X in a separate partition is a waste of space.
From: commiebastard on
On Jun 24, 10:04 am, commiebastard <oraclmas...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 24, 7:55 am, Newbie <new...(a)no.spam> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <8012e6cf-5e1f-43ed-9f6c-416cfc57c...(a)w12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
>
> > commiebastard <oraclmas...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Backup your data, then follow the numerous tutorials out there for
> > > splitting up your hard drive.
>
> > This is a so-far-unused computer with no data. That's why I thought now
> > is a good time.
>
> > How about this partition scheme:
>
> > P1. A working copy of OSX
> > P2. Another bootable copy of OSX, as backup (more convenient than dvd)
> > P3. Non-apple apps I buy or download
> > P4. My own work
>
> > Would my home directory /Users/Newbie hav to go into P1, along with the
> > OS, or can it be anywhere?
>
> > Not sure if P3 and P4 need to be separated. The meaningful separation
> > appears to be between Apple and non-Apple stuff.
>
> You don't need a bootable copy of OS X on a partition on your computer
> IMO.

That is a second bootable copy of OS X, is what I meant to say.