From: Ron on
I have a backup set on DVD-R media made by Retrospect 6 on my G5. Tried
to do an incremental backup recently after not backing up for a while;
Retrospect now thinks all my backup disks are blank. I checked the
internal optical drive; it can still burn CD-R and still read DVD media
burned on other machines. Where do I go from here?
Thx,
Ron
From: isw on
In article <1jkkz7f.1kqn24yxzdyqlN%RonTheGuy(a)null.invalid>,
RonTheGuy(a)null.invalid (Ron) wrote:

> I have a backup set on DVD-R media made by Retrospect 6 on my G5. Tried
> to do an incremental backup recently after not backing up for a while;
> Retrospect now thinks all my backup disks are blank. I checked the
> internal optical drive; it can still burn CD-R and still read DVD media
> burned on other machines. Where do I go from here?

What does Finder think about those DVDs? Does it show that there are
files on them?

Isaac
From: RonTheGuy on
In article <isw-EA2C11.10193524062010@[216.168.3.50]>,
isw <isw(a)witzend.com> wrote:

> In article <1jkkz7f.1kqn24yxzdyqlN%RonTheGuy(a)null.invalid>,
> RonTheGuy(a)null.invalid (Ron) wrote:
>
> > I have a backup set on DVD-R media made by Retrospect 6 on my G5. Tried
> > to do an incremental backup recently after not backing up for a while;
> > Retrospect now thinks all my backup disks are blank. I checked the
> > internal optical drive; it can still burn CD-R and still read DVD media
> > burned on other machines. Where do I go from here?
>
> What does Finder think about those DVDs? Does it show that there are
> files on them?
>
> Isaac

Finder on the G5 thinks the disk is blank. So does the finder on my MBP.
I'm mystified; this isn't what I expect to see on Retrospect backup
media. All the disks from this backup set that I've tried show up as
blank.
From: Shaun on
On 6/24/10 1:58 PM, RonTheGuy wrote:
> In article<isw-EA2C11.10193524062010@[216.168.3.50]>,
> isw<isw(a)witzend.com> wrote:
>
>> In article<1jkkz7f.1kqn24yxzdyqlN%RonTheGuy(a)null.invalid>,
>> RonTheGuy(a)null.invalid (Ron) wrote:
>>
>>> I have a backup set on DVD-R media made by Retrospect 6 on my G5. Tried
>>> to do an incremental backup recently after not backing up for a while;
>>> Retrospect now thinks all my backup disks are blank. I checked the
>>> internal optical drive; it can still burn CD-R and still read DVD media
>>> burned on other machines. Where do I go from here?
>>
>> What does Finder think about those DVDs? Does it show that there are
>> files on them?
>>
>> Isaac
>
> Finder on the G5 thinks the disk is blank. So does the finder on my MBP.
> I'm mystified; this isn't what I expect to see on Retrospect backup
> media. All the disks from this backup set that I've tried show up as
> blank.

Bit of a long shot-- but maybe you accidentally storesd some blank disks
in your safe place rather than the ones you burned the backup on? Check
your DVD spindle to see if you've got some recorded ones sitting there.
From: David Empson on
isw <isw(a)witzend.com> wrote:

> In article <1jkkz7f.1kqn24yxzdyqlN%RonTheGuy(a)null.invalid>,
> RonTheGuy(a)null.invalid (Ron) wrote:
>
> > I have a backup set on DVD-R media made by Retrospect 6 on my G5. Tried
> > to do an incremental backup recently after not backing up for a while;
> > Retrospect now thinks all my backup disks are blank. I checked the
> > internal optical drive; it can still burn CD-R and still read DVD media
> > burned on other machines. Where do I go from here?
>
> What does Finder think about those DVDs? Does it show that there are
> files on them?

If they are from a Retrospect backup set, then Finder won't see
anything. Retrospect uses a proprietary disc format on optical media,
based on packet writing. The disc has no standard file system,
directory, etc. and nothing other than Retrospect understands it.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz