From: Norm on
My wife's MBP 2006 2.16 Core Duo has suddenly started to have random
shutdowns.

In searching newsgroups, there are many, many posts for this problem. A
problem that I didn't know existed.

At any rate, we are traveling, not near any Apple service centers and I
don't have any of my "computer" tools with me.

Anyone know of any software fixes that may work? The number of posts is
very large and seemingly of many different varieties.

Her MBP is at 10.6.2. I'm trying to upgrade her to 10.6.4 thinking that
may help. I'm sure that is false hope.

When I try to install the downloaded OS X Update it gets about 25% of
progress bar when in battery mode and about 40% in AC when it expeiences
this random immediate shutdown. My wife had experienced this same
behavior just in last two days (never before) when using video iChat.

In using iStat Pro dashboard, it reads about 78 degrees for the CPU
after doing the above and restarting. Maybe there is a full time iStat
but I don't have it installed on her Mac.

I tried booting from an external drive and installing the OS Update and
the same shutdown happened.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

--
Norm
From: nospam on
In article <NvSdnTQUt7xAH77RnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net>, Norm
<NOSPAM(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> My wife's MBP 2006 2.16 Core Duo has suddenly started to have random
> shutdowns.

is it on battery or plugged in? sudden shutdown is normally a failing
battery and a 4 year old battery very likely is past it's useful life.
From: George Kerby on

On 6/24/10 12:00 PM, in article 240620101000230861%nospam(a)nospam.invalid,
"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <NvSdnTQUt7xAH77RnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net>, Norm
> <NOSPAM(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> My wife's MBP 2006 2.16 Core Duo has suddenly started to have random
>> shutdowns.
>
> is it on battery or plugged in? sudden shutdown is normally a failing
> battery and a 4 year old battery very likely is past it's useful life.

The OP needs coconutBattery to check it out. A battery lasting four years is
more of an exception than normal.

<http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/>

From: Norm on
In article <240620101000230861%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <NvSdnTQUt7xAH77RnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net>, Norm
> <NOSPAM(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > My wife's MBP 2006 2.16 Core Duo has suddenly started to have random
> > shutdowns.
>
> is it on battery or plugged in? sudden shutdown is normally a failing
> battery and a 4 year old battery very likely is past it's useful life.

OP back.

Perhaps I wasn't very clear in the way I posted the results when running
in both modes: Battery and also Power Adapter.

So it does the random sudden shutdown in both.

Thanks.

--
Norm
From: nospam on
In article <ZK-dnUpTSP5RML7RnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net>, Norm
<NOSPAM(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Perhaps I wasn't very clear in the way I posted the results when running
> in both modes: Battery and also Power Adapter.
>
> So it does the random sudden shutdown in both.

since it shuts off while on battery, that's probably the cause,
however, it's unusual for the battery to cause it to shut down while
plugged in. it's not impossible though.

if you're near an apple store, take it in and see what they say. they
can test your old battery and test a replacement battery.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Can't read backup DVDs
Next: Translation widget problem