From: Paul Magnussen on
When I use the Translation widget to go from English to some Western
European language such as French or Spanish, it produces rubbish for
accented characters. For instance "I shall write again" to French
produces "J'écrirai de nouveau" for "J'�crirai de nouveau".

I don't get any other font problems otherwise except in, for some
reason, Safari, which produces gibberish for characters in italic, e.g.

Captain Jack Sparrow is a fictional character portrayed by Johnny Depp,
introduced in the film Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black
Pearl (2003).

shows as:

Captain Jack Sparrow is a fictional character portrayed by Johnny Depp,
introduced in the film
Rktcvugu"qh"vjg"Ectkddgcp<Vjg"Ewtug"qh"vjg"Dncem"Rgctn (2003).

which seems to be simply a transposition code (by 3 places).

I should be grateful for any help.

Paul Magnussen
From: Paul Magnussen on
Paul Magnussen wrote:
> When I use the Translation widget to go from English to some Western
> European language such as French or Spanish, it produces rubbish for
> accented characters. For instance "I shall write again" to French
> produces "J'écrirai de nouveau" for "J'�crirai de nouveau".
>
> I don't get any other font problems otherwise except in, for some
> reason, Safari, which produces gibberish for characters in italic, e.g.
>
> Captain Jack Sparrow is a fictional character portrayed by Johnny Depp,
> introduced in the film Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black
> Pearl (2003).
>
> shows as:
>
> Captain Jack Sparrow is a fictional character portrayed by Johnny Depp,
> introduced in the film
> Rktcvugu"qh"vjg"Ectkddgcp<Vjg"Ewtug"qh"vjg"Dncem"Rgctn (2003).
>
> which seems to be simply a transposition code (by 3 places).
>
> I should be grateful for any help.

Forgot to add: G4 + 10.4.11

PM
From: Paul Sture on
In article <3fqdnd9TNbX5L77RnZ2dnUVZ_hWdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
Paul Magnussen <magiconinc(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> Paul Magnussen wrote:
> > When I use the Translation widget to go from English to some Western
> > European language such as French or Spanish, it produces rubbish for
> > accented characters. For instance "I shall write again" to French
> > produces "J'écrirai de nouveau" for "J'�crirai de nouveau".
> >
> > I don't get any other font problems otherwise except in, for some
> > reason, Safari, which produces gibberish for characters in italic, e.g.
> >
> > Captain Jack Sparrow is a fictional character portrayed by Johnny Depp,
> > introduced in the film Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black
> > Pearl (2003).
> >
> > shows as:
> >
> > Captain Jack Sparrow is a fictional character portrayed by Johnny Depp,
> > introduced in the film
> > Rktcvugu"qh"vjg"Ectkddgcp<Vjg"Ewtug"qh"vjg"Dncem"Rgctn (2003).
> >
> > which seems to be simply a transposition code (by 3 places).
> >
> > I should be grateful for any help.
>
> Forgot to add: G4 + 10.4.11

I have never used the translation widget, but it appears to be assuming
o character set which is something other than UTF-8. The lack of
interpreting italics properly points to something seriously wrong with
the widget. Are there any preferences in it you can set?

In 10.4 I found Sherlock to be quite good at translations, but it was
discontinued with 10.5. I now use

http://www.freetranslation.com/

although I still have to do some editing of the source to take out
hyphenation at line breaks etc.

--
Paul Sture