From: Mark Conrad on

Present Status of Speech Recognition on the Mac

In limbo.

Nuance bought the tiny company MacSpeech with its
ten programmers, on Feb 16, 2010, four months ago.

MacSpeech was the only hope for Mac users, when it
comes to speech recognition applications.
(SR for short)

Meanwhile, Nuance is making Great Gooey Gobs of
filthy money, selling SR app's for Windows.

Nuance just jacked up the cost of their $1,600
"Dragon NaturallySpeaking" medical edition v 10.1
starting midnight on June 31st, six days from now.

No increase in features, just a $600 price increase,
the new price will be $2,200

You won't find this announcement anywhere on the web,
just wait 6 days from now. I had to dig up this info'
from an obscure medical website.

I frantically bought another copy just now to take
advantage of the existing $1,600 price.

Only very rich doctors, and welfare cases like myself,
can afford those exorbitant prices.

Doctors I know are fit to be tied, they just can't
afford those prices for a borderline productivity app'
like Dragon, but our anointed dictator Obama has decreed
that he will penalize the hell out of them shortly if
they do not demonstrate "significant use" according to
ObamaCare edicts.

Right now our dictator Obama is busy issuing his
dictatorial edicts to BP, but he will get around to
beating up on doctors soon enough.

Meanwhile, the Mac languishes in the backwaters of SR
technology, blissfully shielded from all that filthy
money that everyone else is getting from SR.

The present $200 "MacSpeech Dictate 1.5.9" is not all
that bad in the hands of experts.

For example, I dictated the following tongue twisters
and MacSpeech produced the correct text, no mistaken
spelling in any of the words:

Ned Nott was shot and Sam Shott was not. So it is better
to be Shott than Nott. Some say Nott was not shot. But Shott
says he shot Nott. Either the shot Shott shot at Nott was
not shot, or Nott was shot. If the shot Shott shot shot Nott,
Nott was shot. But if the shot Shott shot shot Shott, then
Shott was shot, not Nott. However, the shot Shott shot
shot not Shott, but Nott.

Mr. See owned a saw, and Mr. Soar owned a seesaw. Now, See's
saw sawed Soar's seesaw before Soar saw See, which made Soar
sore. Had Soar seen See's saw before See sawed Soar's seesaw,
See's saw would not have sawed Soar's seesaw. So See's saw
sawed Soar's seesaw. But it was sad to see Soar so sore just
because See's saw sawed Soar's seesaw.

....and no, I did not cheat by using "Text Macros".

....and yes, if I had mispronounced any of those words,
it would have produced an error in the results.

Mark-
From: Mark Conrad on
In article <250620100718163963%aeiou(a)mostly.invalid>, Mark Conrad
<aeiou(a)mostly.invalid> wrote:

> Meanwhile, the Mac languishes in the backwaters of SR
> technology, blissfully shielded from all that filthy
> money that everyone else is getting from SR.

Yep, so be it.

BTW, if anyone has doctor friends, you could do them a
$600 favor by alerting them to the impending price
increase of Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical at
midnight Wednesday, June 30th, 2010

That is only 4 days away from right now.

If they can squeeze in their order immediately by
ordering directly from the Nuance customer service
website, they might beat that deadline and save $600.

Existing prices for the products affected:

$1,600 for Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10.1
full medical edition.

$1,200 for Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10.1
small practice edition.

My medical sources say those prices will increase $600.

Nuance is not publishing the new prices, for obvious reasons.

Don't say you were not forewarned about this price increase.

I practice what I preach, my 2nd copy of Dragon medical
is due to arrive here late afternoon tomorrow.

I have corraled all my Dobermans, pit bulls, and even my
pet mountain lion, to make it safe for UPS to deliver
my Dragon.

Mark-