From: Ohmster on

On thing I really liked about my Fedora system was the beryl desktop. It
was neat, and some of the zoom features and a few others really were
useful, although most of it is just eye candy. I got mine working on FC6
but had to install oddball repositories to do it and it worked great and
still does, however, upgrading is now out of the question, too many
dependency errors with yum, plus installing other things like BitchX
instead of that crappy Epoc IRC client. Now yum hangs on all major upgrades
because of these various mixes of rpms from different repos, I have since
reset back to the original fedora repos. I had dag in there for a while
too.

So it looks like a fresh install and machine overhaul is in order. The fans
are groaning under the dust, found my nvidia card putting artifacts all
over the screen (Fan on it stopped long ago.) so I plugged in a better one.

To make sure this does not happen again in the future, are there any decent
3d desktop stuff that comes with or can be added to Fedora 11 or 12?
Anything like beryl or compiz? And how does one install rpm software that
cannot be found on yum safely so as not to get stuck in dependency hell?

Thanks for your input.

--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 07 January 2010 06:52 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying
as Ohmster wrote...

> On thing I really liked about my Fedora system was the beryl desktop.
> It was neat, and some of the zoom features and a few others really
> were useful, although most of it is just eye candy. [...]
>
> To make sure this does not happen again in the future, are there any
> decent 3d desktop stuff that comes with or can be added to Fedora 11
> or 12? Anything like beryl or compiz? And how does one install rpm
> software that cannot be found on yum safely so as not to get stuck in
> dependency hell?

KDE 4.0 has its own window manager, kwin, which offers the same
functionality as Compiz/Beryl. If on the other hand you are using
Gnome or XFCE as your desktop environment, then you can make use of the
Compiz Fusion window manager - it is the default window manager for
Gnome. Beryl was a fork from the original Compiz, and the project has
now merged again with Compiz, hence "Fusion".

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Ohmster on
Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote in news:hi4bft$kvl$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> KDE 4.0 has its own window manager, kwin, which offers the same
> functionality as Compiz/Beryl. If on the other hand you are using
> Gnome or XFCE as your desktop environment, then you can make use of the
> Compiz Fusion window manager - it is the default window manager for
> Gnome. Beryl was a fork from the original Compiz, and the project has
> now merged again with Compiz, hence "Fus

Ah, thank you so much. I am a gnome guy and compiz with beryl cannot be bad
at all! I am off! Thanks!