From: Charlie-Boo on

Is there a two-place relation R such that:

1. If x is an element of y then there exists a z such that R(y,z).

2. If R(x,y) then y is an element of x.

3. If R(x,y) and R(x,z) then y=z.

What should it be called?

C-B
From: James Burns on
Charlie-Boo wrote:
> Is there a two-place relation R such that:
>
> 1. If x is an element of y then there exists a z such that R(y,z).
>
> 2. If R(x,y) then y is an element of x.
>
> 3. If R(x,y) and R(x,z) then y=z.
>
> What should it be called?

Would you mind sharing why the question is interesting?

(2) and (3) imply that

R(x,y) iff x = {y}

and (1) certainly follows from that (with z = x).

So, yes to your first question; there is such a relation.

I'll leave it to you to come up an answer
to your second question, that is, a name.

Jim Burns
From: James Burns on
James Burns wrote:
> Charlie-Boo wrote:
>
>> Is there a two-place relation R such that:
>>
>> 1. If x is an element of y then there exists a z such that R(y,z).
>>
>> 2. If R(x,y) then y is an element of x.
>>
>> 3. If R(x,y) and R(x,z) then y=z.
>>
>> What should it be called?
>

> Would you mind sharing why the question is interesting?
>
> (2) and (3) imply that
>
> R(x,y) iff x = {y}
>
> and (1) certainly follows from that (with z = x).

Ooops. (1) only follows from (2) and (3) if y is
of the correct type, that is, if y is a singleton
(or empty). So, in order for such a relation
to exist, its range on its first parameter needs
to be restricted to singletons (and the empty set).

This wasn't specified in the problem statement, but,
if the unspecified sets X and Y for which R is
a subset of XxY also satisfy X = Y, then
I think X = { {}, {{}}, {{{}}}, {{{{}}}}, ... }
is the unique solution (err, that and {} ).

From: Charlie-Boo on
On Nov 5, 10:29 am, James Burns <burns...(a)osu.edu> wrote:
> Charlie-Boo wrote:
> > Is there a two-place relation R such that:
>
> > 1. If x is an element of y then there exists a z such that R(y,z).
>
> > 2. If R(x,y) then y is an element of x.
>
> > 3. If R(x,y) and R(x,z) then y=z.
>
> > What should it be called?
>
> Would you mind sharing why the question is interesting?

A lot of people write about it.

> (2) and (3) imply that
>
>     R(x,y)   iff   x = {y}

Not quite e.g. R(x,y) iff x = {y,{}} also satisfies (2) and (3).

> and (1) certainly follows from that (with z = x).

See your next post.

> So, yes to your first question; there is such a relation.
>
> I'll leave it to you to come up an answer
> to your second question, that is, a name.

How about “answer to a long standing problem”?

C-B

From: Charlie-Boo on
On Nov 5, 10:43 am, James Burns <burns...(a)osu.edu> wrote:
> James Burns wrote:
> > Charlie-Boo wrote:
>
> >> Is there a two-place relation R such that:
>
> >> 1. If x is an element of y then there exists a z such that R(y,z).
>
> >> 2. If R(x,y) then y is an element of x.
>
> >> 3. If R(x,y) and R(x,z) then y=z.
>
> >> What should it be called?
>
> > Would you mind sharing why the question is interesting?
>
> > (2) and (3) imply that
>
> >    R(x,y)   iff   x = {y}
>
> > and (1) certainly follows from that (with z = x).
>
> Ooops. (1) only follows from (2) and (3) if y is
> of the correct type, that is, if y is a singleton
> (or empty).  So, in order for such a relation
> to exist, its range on its first parameter needs
> to be restricted to singletons (and the empty set).
>
> This wasn't specified in the problem statement, but,
> if the unspecified sets X and Y for which R is
> a subset of  XxY  also satisfy X = Y, then
> is the unique solution

Are you saying that X is a Quine atom (to satisfy 2)?

> (err, that and {} ).

R can’t be {} because (1) needs some tuples in R.

C-B