From: Charlie-Boo on

I am thinking of two things. Can you guess what either is?

You can ask as many questions as you want and I will (truthfully)
answer all that I can.

They don’t even have to be yes/no (finite multiple choice) questions.

You just can’t ask, “What are you thinking about?”!

C-B
From: John Jones on
Charlie-Boo wrote:
> I am thinking of two things. Can you guess what either is?

According to Wittgenstein (Tractatus), statements of the sort "there are
two objects" or "7 is a number" are nonsensical.

> You can ask as many questions as you want and I will (truthfully)
> answer all that I can.
>
> They don�t even have to be yes/no (finite multiple choice) questions.
>
> You just can�t ask, �What are you thinking about?�!
>
> C-B

Objects are given through their presentation, or through a presentation
of their symbol.

That is, you are asking us to consider the possibility of a hidden
presentation. I don't think that's on at all.
From: Charlie-Boo on
On Nov 5, 4:51 pm, John Jones <jonescard...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> Charlie-Boo wrote:
> > I am thinking of two things.  Can you guess what either is?
>
> According to Wittgenstein (Tractatus), statements of the sort "there are
> two objects" or "7 is a number" are nonsensical.

They seem ok in Mathematics.

> > You can ask as many questions as you want and I will (truthfully)
> > answer all that I can.
>
> > They don’t even have to be yes/no (finite multiple choice) questions.
>
> > You just can’t ask, “What are you thinking about?”!
>
> > C-B
>
> Objects are given through their presentation, or through a presentation
> of their symbol.
>
> That is, you are asking us to consider the possibility of a hidden
> presentation. I don't think that's on at all.

You could have asked, "What are you thinking of?" if I hadn't added
the extra condition prohibiting it, so there are solutions. Just
asking if there are other solutions than the one that I ruled out.

C-B
From: James Burns on
Charlie-Boo wrote:
> On Nov 5, 4:51 pm, John Jones <jonescard...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>Charlie-Boo wrote:
>>
>>>I am thinking of two things. Can you guess what either is?
>>
>>According to Wittgenstein (Tractatus), statements of the sort "there are
>>two objects" or "7 is a number" are nonsensical.
>

> They seem ok in Mathematics.
>

>>>You can ask as many questions as you want and I will (truthfully)
>>>answer all that I can.
>>
>>>They don�t even have to be yes/no (finite multiple choice) questions.
>>
>>>You just can�t ask, �What are you thinking about?�!
>>
>>>C-B
>>
>>Objects are given through their presentation, or through a presentation
>>of their symbol.
>>
>>That is, you are asking us to consider the possibility of a hidden
>>presentation. I don't think that's on at all.
>
> You could have asked, "What are you thinking of?" if I hadn't added
> the extra condition prohibiting it, so there are solutions. Just
> asking if there are other solutions than the one that I ruled out.

Ah. A game different from the one I thought you were playing.

If I were permitted to ask "What are you thinking of?"
and did, and you answered honestly, what would you answer?

Jim Burns

From: Peter Webb on

"Charlie-Boo" <shymathguy(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

I am thinking of two things. Can you guess what either is?

You can ask as many questions as you want and I will (truthfully)
answer all that I can.

They don�t even have to be yes/no (finite multiple choice) questions.

I'll play. Does the first one start with the letter "A" ?