From: Ron Hardin on
If a system comes with "Genuine Windows 7
Downgrade software" does that mean you can somehow
install XP pro or not?

Not run XP as a virtual machine but actually have
XP pro.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: Ron Hardin on
Hank Arnold wrote:

> Ron Hardin wrote:
> > If a system comes with "Genuine Windows 7
> > Downgrade software" does that mean you can somehow
> > install XP pro or not?
> >
> > Not run XP as a virtual machine but actually have
> > XP pro.
> Absolutely. Dell has this configuration for their Optiplex. I don't know
> if they install W7 or XP. With Vista, they installed XP and provided the
> CDs for both Vista and XP....

The confusion is that there's also downgrade to Vista, which might be what
you're stuck with.

Some chatter about limited time rights to XP Pro also is around.

I don't see a current authoritative explanation.

--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: Weavertech89 on

you can dual boot xp and windows 7, I've done it on my computer. wipe
the hard drive/ format. then use magic partition to make 2 partitions.
install xp on the first partition and windows 7 on the other.

From: Ron Hardin on
Weavertech89 wrote:

> you can dual boot xp and windows 7, I've done it on my computer. wipe
> the hard drive/ format. then use magic partition to make 2 partitions.
> install xp on the first partition and windows 7 on the other.

Interesting but not if you don't want windows 7.

The chief effect of change is to break what's working just fine.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: Gary Baldi on
On Dec 10, 3:10 pm, Ron Hardin <rhhar...(a)mindspring.com> wrote:

>  Apparently they've just gone to a universal driver DVD for
> every computer, in a 2-DVD set.
> --

Makes economic sense, just write your Resource DVD software to detect
what hardware is present and the job's a good 'un.

Always wondered why Dell (and all the other major vendors) didn't
adopt such a business model years ago.

Car manufacturers are slowly coming around to this train of though
too, headlight clusters on Fords here in the UK are pretty much
standardised rather than a different set for each model.