From: Hillbilly on
To make pages look as little like web pages created using
HTML/CSS/JavaScript we use Flash or Silverlight both of which have a steep
learning curve which is much steeper than HTML "web forms" development.

From: mat on
In article <e$yEbvikKHA.4356(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, nobody(a)nowhere.com
says...
> To make pages look as little like web pages created using
> HTML/CSS/JavaScript we use Flash or Silverlight both of which have a steep
> learning curve which is much steeper than HTML "web forms" development.

That's interesting too...flex 4 and the silverlight kit that comes with
vs2010 have been getting much more attention than asp.net over here too.
We just do have to get some chops at general web dev and asp.net is
probably the simplest tool to pick up. Flex 4 and SL + RIA Services are
still not quite ready, so it's a good time to learn some asp.net.

When I searched for blueprint, I was not sure if I found the exact
framework you referenced in your original reply. Can you give me a url?
Thanks.
From: James Irvine on

"Mark Rae [MVP]" <mark(a)markNOSPAMrae.net> wrote in message
> "James Irvine" <jirv332(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>> Here's a site I did for a friend with a home page that just happens to be
>> table-free: http://www.barbarareed.org/ And it dynamically adjusts its
>> width to fill the browser.
>
> But not its height... Even on a 24" monitor I had to scroll to see the
> bottom menu / copyright notice...
>

> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net

thanks -I hadn't even noticed : )

Calling a javascript function from the Master page code-behind, to
dynamically adjust the <div> height seems to do the trick:

{

// Get a ClientScriptManager reference from the Page class.

ClientScriptManager cs = Page.ClientScript;

if (!IsPostBack) // first pass:

{

switch (Convert.ToString(this.Page))

{

case "ASP.default_aspx":

LinkButton3.Visible = false;

cs.RegisterStartupScript

(GetType(), "Javascript", "javascript: fnSetLeftColumn(550); ", true);

break;

case "ASP.books_aspx":

LinkButton4.Visible = false;

cs.RegisterStartupScript

(GetType(), "Javascript", "javascript: fnSetLeftColumn(1550); ", true);

break;

case "ASP.booksf_aspx":

LinkButton4.Visible = false;

cs.RegisterStartupScript

(GetType(), "Javascript", "javascript: fnSetLeftColumn(1550); ", true);

break;

etc....

From: Hillbilly on
Its Google's response http://code.google.com/p/blueprintcss/

Personally, I have favored Yahoo YUI CSS but it is more difficult to learn
as it is very succinct and terse which is why some have adopted lighter
frameworks such as the 960 CSS Framework which is faster and easier to use
for sites that you know will not need every possible layout such as YUI will
support.