From: mat on
I know that a trend is to create websites that are pure css, and don't
rely on tables for layout. Are asp.net devs taking that approach also? I
checked a couple of major asp.net websites like newegg.com and they do
seem to use tables for layout.

Any info out there focused on table-less asp.net dev?
From: Hillbilly on
Most of us try but I think our dirty little secret is most also cop out and
start using tables here and there when their pages become increasingly
complex. You'll note most of the "pure" CSS sites are often little more than
what we call StackPanels in XAML using CSS to declare perhaps 2 or 3 at most
container type implementations expressed as styled HTML.

Are you using any of the libaries yet like YUI CSS or Blueprint?

From: mat on
That is interesting; thank you. No I am not an asp.net dev yet...I've
not needed to so far, but the time is coming. I have been able to build
apps using winforms etc to date and have been able to avoid writing
directly to a browser (do use various cms). I would really like to get
any input you have to offer re how to make asp.net as sleek looking (ie
as little like old html pages/forms) as possible, with the minimun
effort. YUI CSS and Blueprint, are they what you use? I've no exposure
to either.

In article <OOWnDZakKHA.5608(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, nobody(a)nowhere.com
says...

From: James Irvine on

"mat" <mat(a)notarealdotcom.adr> wrote in message
>I know that a trend is to create websites that are pure css, and don't
> rely on tables for layout. Are asp.net devs taking that approach also? I
> checked a couple of major asp.net websites like newegg.com and they do
> seem to use tables for layout.
>
> Any info out there focused on table-less asp.net dev?

Here's a site I did for a friend with a home page that just happens to be
table-free: http://www.barbarareed.org/ And it dynamically adjusts it's
width to fill the browser. With new monitors being 'widescreen' these days,
the old fixed-width pages are beginning to look dated. Of course, there's
nothing wrong with using tables, they just shouldn't be used to define the
page layout.

And here's a good link to the other advantages of CSS based pages, most
notably the huge performance hit when tables define a page:
http://www.chromaticsites.com/blog/13-reasons-why-css-is-superior-to-tables-in-website-design/

Another cool thing with CSS based is you can control which parts of your
page appear first, drawing the viewers attention to where you want them.

From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"James Irvine" <jirv332(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Here's a site I did for a friend with a home page that just happens to be
> table-free: http://www.barbarareed.org/ And it dynamically adjusts its
> width to fill the browser.

But not its height... Even on a 24" monitor I had to scroll to see the
bottom menu / copyright notice...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP