From: StarryNight986 on
I have two computers running XP sp 3 that do not boot consistently. The Dell
machine (2 mb ram) sometimes will load all the items in the startup and work
great, but other times it will only load some of the items (and the others
are missing from the taskbar). It will appear to work, but you cannot run
IE, or the other programs that did not load. When you click on them, it just
does nothing. I have run chkdsk, and I have gone through msconfig with each
item to only load the things I need.

Also, when I try to shutdown the computer when it starts up wrong, the
system gets hung on "saving system settings" and then I have to manually shut
it down.

I think all of this started when I tried to install IE8 on this computer, it
did not work properly, and then I had to back off to IE6/7.

I do a checkpoint on the system everytime I make any changes or when it is
working okay. Sometimes now the only way I can get it to boot up properly it
to press F8 at startup, last good configuration, and then hope that it will
work.

Any ideas of what I can look for would be helpful. I am running McAfee
Virus/Firewall protection.

My other computer is an Acer netbook which is experiencing similar
problems...Thanks.

From: db on
it is any wonder that the
computer with 2 megabytes
of ram can boot at all.

should have at least 512
megabytes of ram installed.

--
db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: StarryNight986 on
Typo : 2 GB Ram.
It is a corrupted nt user file, I think. I booted from a different user and
it boots fine.

From: db on
probably can do a system
restore from safe mode or
uninstall ie from a/r programs.

both the above would uninstall
the ie system files.

you can also test ie via safe
mode w/networking.

From: StarryNight986 on
The other user I created now does not boot consistently. This is more of a
system-wide problem. Maybe something bad in my registry. I heard a lot of
bad things about registry cleaners (in that they make things worse).
Restores and doing F8 (last good config) don't help the problem.

Pages: 1 2
Prev: Search Freezes
Next: Task Manager Process