From: Robert Cummings on
Hello list,

Does anyone know a method in Windows Server 2003 to discover one or more
domain controllers to which the machine is connected. I know as an
administrator I can use dsquery and various other administrator
commands, but I'm unsure how to do so within PHP from an unprivileged
vantage point.

Thanks,
Rob.
--
E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.
From: "Jason" on
Hi Rob,

I believe you should be able to do this with nothing more than DNS (this is how Windows clients do it).

Once you have the DNS domain of the machine you're on (_SERVER["USERDNSDOMAIN"]), query for SRV records called the following:

Name: _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.<machine domain name>

That should return one or more records in the answer, each one will be the FQDN of a domain controller.

Additional info from the horses mouth: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247811

HTH
Jason

From: Robert Cummings on
On 10-09-27 11:26 AM, Jason wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> I believe you should be able to do this with nothing more than DNS (this is how Windows clients do it).
>
> Once you have the DNS domain of the machine you're on (_SERVER["USERDNSDOMAIN"]), query for SRV records called the following:
>
> Name: _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.<machine domain name>
>
> That should return one or more records in the answer, each one will be the FQDN of a domain controller.
>
> Additional info from the horses mouth: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247811

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the info. I don't actually have that server field (maybe
because the article is for windows 2000), but maybe I can use your info
to get to the next step anyways.

Cheers,
Rob.