From: David Mehler on
Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a newsletter script they use
and like? Some requirements I have are:

1. Free preferred
2. Can be used via a web browser
3. Can put the newsletter submission on a web page
4. Can use rss to feed that web page
5. Produce Xhtml compliant code and integrate well with a site's existing css
6. can optionally send that newsletter out as plain text or html

Googling has not helped in this matter.
Thanks.
Dave.
From: "=?utf-8?B?YXNoQGFzaGxleXNoZXJpZGFuLmNvLnVr?=" on
It's probably worth noting that very few email clients in use actually observe xhtml. When creating html emails you have to step back a half dozen years for outlook, which is the current dominant client because of offices.

Essentially, its back to basics, with tables for layout, font tags, and little, if any, css. Images for layout are also hit and miss because of spam protection.

If you can't create a template yourself, you're best off looking for one online that can be used in an email marketing system.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Richard Quadling on
On 27 September 2010 23:40, ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk
<ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> It's probably worth noting that very few email clients in use actually observe xhtml. When creating html emails you have to step back a half dozen years for outlook, which is the current dominant client because of offices.
>
> Essentially, its back to basics, with tables for layout, font tags, and little, if any, css. Images for layout are also hit and miss because of spam protection.
>
> If you can't create a template yourself, you're best off looking for one online that can be used in an email marketing system.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

You can embed images in emails and these are correctly shown in Outlook.

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend
From: "=?utf-8?B?YXNoQGFzaGxleXNoZXJpZGFuLmNvLnVr?=" on
Still hit and miss though, outlook is just one if many email clients out there.

From: Richard Quadling on
On 28 September 2010 11:29, ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk
<ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> Still hit and miss though, outlook is just one if many email clients out
> there.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

I send around 200 emails a day to our clients. The message is a bill
laid out to allow the recipient to enter some additional details and
then forward it to their client.

The images are a combination of company logo and of photos of work
we've undertaken.

The work I had to do to make it work for Outlook was as described
(HTML Tables with limited CSS). It works nicely in Outlook 2003+,
Thunderbird, Outlook Express.

For those with a problem, I have a link to the online version.

I use PHPGuru's RMail (similar to PHPMailer).

But hit and miss would certainly be how I'd describe getting it
working for Outlook 2007.