From: Dave Onex on

"Dave Onex" <dave(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>>> resolves external requests from external users.
>>>
>>> It's working perfectly thanks to your help!
>>>
>>> Best;
>>> Dave
>>>

>> You are welcome! :-)
>>
>> Ace
>>

> Say, now that you are here.... and you know a lot about AD etc..... :-)
>
> I have a question that maybe you can help me with - it might be a little
> off-topic but it's the last issue I'm facing on the network - everything
> else is 100% perfect.
>
> My server network is all Windows 2000. One of them has Certificate
> Services installed. It's working perfectly in that all domain members got
> the new root certificate automatically through active directory and put it
> in the trusted root section of each machine. In addition, each Windows
> 2000 machine can request a machine cert through the MMC - so Certificate
> Services is working and configured fine.
>
> The problem is my XP Pro laptop. It did not automatically get the new root
> certificate from AD. I waited several days and also issued a group policy
> update command - still nothing.
>
> It used to work back when it was getting the certs from a different
> machine. Network changes meant that the Certificate services was removed
> the old machine and put on a new machine. No old certs were transferred in
> the process - all certs are new.
>
> Because the XP laptop wouldn't get the root certificate on it's own I
> manually exported the root certificate for my domain and imported it into
> the trusted root certificates on the laptop. From that point on the laptop
> could request certificates and get them. I thought the issue was fixed
> because I can now L2TP into the domain because the certs are all
> correct.....
>
> But a problem came up. The XP laptop is always coughing up errors about
> w32 time. Specifically, it keeps reporting that the time it's getting from
> the NTP server (a local DC) is not signed and that it might have been
> tampered with. This is not the case - the XP laptop is wrong.
>
> The laptop is correctly configured to get it's time from the DC. The
> registry entries are correct. Still, it thinks the time from the NTP
> server is not signed properly.
>
> I cannot help but think this is related to the laptop not being able to
> automatically get the new domain cert from the new domain controller (the
> certificate server).
>
> Is there anyway to 'reset' the laptop's certificate settings? Perhaps it's
> still looking for the old certificate server (even though it shouldn't). I
> tried a gpudate /refresh and while that command works, the error still
> arise about the time server and the signature.
>
> I'm about as certain as I can be that actual issue boils down to this: The
> XP laptop did not get it's new domain cert from active directory as it
> should have. I'm quite certain all other problems stem from that one
> oddity. Do you know what would cause that?

AHA!

I think I cased it. The original problem of the laptop not being able to
download the domain cert was caused by the local group policy on the laptop
being set to NOT perform this action. I don't know how or why this occurred
but the setting was located at;

gpedit.msc => Computer Configuration => Windows Settings => Security
Settings => Public Key Policies => Autoenrollment settings

Enroll Certificates Automatically was NOT selected :-0
Shortly after I selected it the laptop went off, got the domain certificate
and then grabbed a local machine certificate for itself.

I don't know how that setting changed - this machine used to do that
automatically. Anyway, it's another success story :-)

Best;
Dave

From: Ace Fekay [MCT] on
"Dave Onex" <dave(a)onex.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>> oddity. Do you know what would cause that?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Dave
>
> AHA!
>
> I think I cased it. The original problem of the laptop not being able to
> download the domain cert was caused by the local group policy on the
> laptop being set to NOT perform this action. I don't know how or why this
> occurred but the setting was located at;
>
> gpedit.msc => Computer Configuration => Windows Settings => Security
> Settings => Public Key Policies => Autoenrollment settings
>
> Enroll Certificates Automatically was NOT selected :-0
> Shortly after I selected it the laptop went off, got the domain
> certificate and then grabbed a local machine certificate for itself.
>
> I don't know how that setting changed - this machine used to do that
> automatically. Anyway, it's another success story :-)

Glad to hear you figured that one out. I wouldn't have looked there first,
but I assume you must have searched around for possiblities. Are you still
getting w32time errors after the change?

Ace

From: Dave Onex on

> [...]
>> laptop being set to NOT perform this action. I don't know how or why this
>> occurred but the setting was located at;
>>
>> gpedit.msc => Computer Configuration => Windows Settings => Security
>> Settings => Public Key Policies => Autoenrollment settings
>>
>> Enroll Certificates Automatically was NOT selected :-0
>> Shortly after I selected it the laptop went off, got the domain
>> certificate and then grabbed a local machine certificate for itself.
>>
>> I don't know how that setting changed - this machine used to do that
>> automatically. Anyway, it's another success story :-)
>>
>> Best;
>> Dave
>>

> Glad to hear you figured that one out. I wouldn't have looked there first,
> but I assume you must have searched around for possiblities. Are you still
> getting w32time errors after the change?

Hi Ace!

Interestingly enough, it didn't fix the w32time errors. I was sure it would
because it was the only thing obviously wrong with the laptop since the
network was changed around. Other then the cert issue and the time issue
that laptop was as solid as always...

I could not figure out what was wrong with the time service on that machine.
Instead, I cheated. I went over to my other Xp Pro machine and exported the
entire W32time registry key and imported it into the laptop. That fixed it
(go figure!)

Sometimes it's easier to cheat then to diagnose. Thing is, the laptop
belongs to me and I never changed any of those settings. Prior to the
changes on the network it always got it's certificates and it never had a
time problem. So I don't know what caused the problems in the first place.
But, suffice to say, it's all done now!

Best (and thanks!)
Dave

From: Ace Fekay [MCT] on

> "Ace Fekay [MCT]" <aceman(a)mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in message
>> "Dave Onex" <dave(a)onex.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Dave Onex" <dave(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> AHA!
>>>
>>> I think I cased it. The original problem of the laptop not being able to
>>> download the domain cert was caused by the local group policy on the
>>> laptop being set to NOT perform this action. I don't know how or why
>>> this occurred but the setting was located at;
>>>
>>> gpedit.msc => Computer Configuration => Windows Settings => Security
>>> Settings => Public Key Policies => Autoenrollment settings
>>>
>>> Enroll Certificates Automatically was NOT selected :-0
>>> Shortly after I selected it the laptop went off, got the domain
>>> certificate and then grabbed a local machine certificate for itself.
>>>
>>> I don't know how that setting changed - this machine used to do that
>>> automatically. Anyway, it's another success story :-)
>>>
>>> Best;
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Glad to hear you figured that one out. I wouldn't have looked there
>> first, but I assume you must have searched around for possiblities. Are
>> you still getting w32time errors after the change?
>>
>> Ace
>

> Hi Ace!
>
> Interestingly enough, it didn't fix the w32time errors. I was sure it
> would because it was the only thing obviously wrong with the laptop since
> the network was changed around. Other then the cert issue and the time
> issue that laptop was as solid as always...
>
> I could not figure out what was wrong with the time service on that
> machine. Instead, I cheated. I went over to my other Xp Pro machine and
> exported the entire W32time registry key and imported it into the laptop.
> That fixed it (go figure!)
>
> Sometimes it's easier to cheat then to diagnose. Thing is, the laptop
> belongs to me and I never changed any of those settings. Prior to the
> changes on the network it always got it's certificates and it never had a
> time problem. So I don't know what caused the problems in the first place.
> But, suffice to say, it's all done now!
>
> Best (and thanks!)
> Dave

Interesting cheat. That's one way of doing it.

Curious, how did you step up the time service? By registry entries, or just
using the default command lines (whcih works fine)?

Ace

From: Dave Onex on

> "Dave Onex" <dave(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ace Fekay [MCT]" <aceman(a)mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in message
>>> "Dave Onex" <dave(a)onex.com> wrote in message

>>> Glad to hear you figured that one out. I wouldn't have looked there
>>> first, but I assume you must have searched around for possiblities. Are
>>> you still getting w32time errors after the change?
>>>
>>> Ace
>>

>> Hi Ace!
>>
>> Interestingly enough, it didn't fix the w32time errors. I was sure it
>> would because it was the only thing obviously wrong with the laptop since
>> the network was changed around. Other then the cert issue and the time
>> issue that laptop was as solid as always...
>>
>> I could not figure out what was wrong with the time service on that
>> machine. Instead, I cheated. I went over to my other Xp Pro machine and
>> exported the entire W32time registry key and imported it into the laptop.
>> That fixed it (go figure!)
>>
>> Sometimes it's easier to cheat then to diagnose. Thing is, the laptop
>> belongs to me and I never changed any of those settings. Prior to the
>> changes on the network it always got it's certificates and it never had a
>> time problem. So I don't know what caused the problems in the first
>> place. But, suffice to say, it's all done now!
>>
>> Best (and thanks!)
>> Dave
>>

> Interesting cheat. That's one way of doing it.
>
> Curious, how did you step up the time service? By registry entries, or
> just using the default command lines (whcih works fine)?
>
> Ace

Hi Ace;

I originally set it up just using the default DOS commands. Specifically,
net time /setsntp with the server name. When I started having problems I did
check for the correct server entry in the registry but that's it. I can't
for the life of me figure out where these two issues originally stemmed from
because both certs and w32tm never had any issues. They were always 'set it
and forget it'. It was only when I changed the network around that these
issues cropped up. As a result of the changes I dropped to DOS and entered
the /setsntp option to point to the new time server. That seems to be when
the problems started but how the registry for w32tm got goofed is beyond me.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: 37 Hosting Web www.ivys.es
Next: Locating Domain Controller