From: Dave Onex on
Hi Folks;

Neither of my domain controllers can reach the default gateway even though
it's properly defined and there are valid forward and reverse records in
DNS. Pinging the DG results in...nothing. !

Every other machine on the network can ping the DG. All machines are on one
LAN segment with one default gateway.

Everything here is Windows 2000 Advanced Server and ISA 2004.

Background....

I made some network changes by promoting a different machine to become the
DC for the domain. Everything went well and the original machine was demoted
back to standard server. No issues - all is well. Event logs are spotless. A
perfect DCPROMO if ever there was one.

I then promoted a different machine to become a supplemental DC and
everything went well with one issue - FRS reports it's having problems
connecting to the existing DC and reports that it's likely a DNS issue.

I check the DNS network wide and find that there are proper forward and
reverse entries for the server in question. I triple check by looking them
up from a dos prompt - all OK.

So why does FRS fail? Unknown.

I then run netdiag /fix and it reports that the only issue is that it cannot
connect to the default gateway. I check the default gateway and it's
correct! I then ping the default gateway and what do I find? No response.
How can that be?

After checking all machines I find that the only two that can't ping the
default gateway are the Domain Controllers. The DG is properly defined in
each case and there are valid forward and reverse entries in the DNS for the
DG.

I have no clue what's wrong. The key might be that only the domain
controllers can't reach the DG. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Dave

From: Dave Onex on
I seem to have fixed it. It appears to have been a firewall issue where the
firewall was denying ICMP traffic from those two servers :-)

Best;
Dave

From: Ace Fekay [MCT] on
>I seem to have fixed it. It appears to have been a firewall issue where the
>firewall was denying ICMP traffic from those two servers :-)
>
> Best;
> Dave
>
> "Dave Onex" <dave(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Folks;
>>
>> Neither of my domain controllers can reach the default gateway even
>> though it's properly defined and there are valid forward and reverse
>> records in DNS. Pinging the DG results in...nothing. !
>>
>> Every other machine on the network can ping the DG. All machines are on
>> one LAN segment with one default gateway.
>>
>> Everything here is Windows 2000 Advanced Server and ISA 2004.
>>
>> Background....
>>
>> I made some network changes by promoting a different machine to become
>> the DC for the domain. Everything went well and the original machine was
>> demoted back to standard server. No issues - all is well. Event logs are
>> spotless. A perfect DCPROMO if ever there was one.
>>
>> I then promoted a different machine to become a supplemental DC and
>> everything went well with one issue - FRS reports it's having problems
>> connecting to the existing DC and reports that it's likely a DNS issue.
>>
>> I check the DNS network wide and find that there are proper forward and
>> reverse entries for the server in question. I triple check by looking
>> them up from a dos prompt - all OK.
>>
>> So why does FRS fail? Unknown.
>>
>> I then run netdiag /fix and it reports that the only issue is that it
>> cannot connect to the default gateway. I check the default gateway and
>> it's correct! I then ping the default gateway and what do I find? No
>> response. How can that be?
>>
>> After checking all machines I find that the only two that can't ping the
>> default gateway are the Domain Controllers. The DG is properly defined in
>> each case and there are valid forward and reverse entries in the DNS for
>> the DG.
>>
>> I have no clue what's wrong. The key might be that only the domain
>> controllers can't reach the DG. Can anyone help?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Dave

I was going to say it was probably an ISA issue. If ISA is on a DC, it can
be extremely problematic for a number of reasons. First, it's a DC. If a DC
has more than one NIC, IP address or RRAS on it, it causes a complexity that
causes DNS registration issues. On top of that, if you install ISA, the
complications logirithmically increase.

Glad you figured it out.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA
2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer

For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

From: Dave Onex on
Hi Ace;

In my case the ISA is just a member of the domain - not a domain controller.
Making the ISA a domain controller would be, in my mind, a recipe for
disaster especially from a security standpoint.

I did find one other thing though and it was important. On one of the domain
controllers the active directory DNS zone for my domain was missing an
important entry. In the _msdcs area of DNS it was missing the CNAME entry
with the GUID for the other domain controller. That's why it couldn't
replicate with the other domain controller.

When I was testing the DNS I was just using the other domain controllers
machine name. I didn't realize that that record in that area of the DNS had
to be there. In fact, I'd never ventured into the active directory entries
in DNS :-)

Anyway, got it cased and just wanted to update this thread for archival
purposes.

Best;
Dave

From: Ace Fekay [MCT] on
> Hi Ace;
>
> In my case the ISA is just a member of the domain - not a domain
> controller. Making the ISA a domain controller would be, in my mind, a
> recipe for disaster especially from a security standpoint.
>
> I did find one other thing though and it was important. On one of the
> domain controllers the active directory DNS zone for my domain was missing
> an important entry. In the _msdcs area of DNS it was missing the CNAME
> entry with the GUID for the other domain controller. That's why it
> couldn't replicate with the other domain controller.
>
> When I was testing the DNS I was just using the other domain controllers
> machine name. I didn't realize that that record in that area of the DNS
> had to be there. In fact, I'd never ventured into the active directory
> entries in DNS :-)
>
> Anyway, got it cased and just wanted to update this thread for archival
> purposes.
>
> Best;
> Dave

I'm glad you got to the bottom of it. The CNAME GUID, among other SRV
records, are all important records. What was the cause of the missing
records? Normally restarting the Netlogon service on a DC will create the
SRV records. If all things are configured properly, one thing you can do is
delete the system32\config\netlogon.dns and netlogon.bak files, then run
ipconfig /registerdns, then restart Netlogon. If they're still not being
created, then I suspect a misconfiguration somewhere.

As long as you are only using the internal DNS servers, the zone name allows
updates, the Primary DNS Suffix (look at an ipconfig /all) matches the zone
name in DNS, and the domain is not a single label name, you should be good
to go. You can use this list as things to look for when troubleshooting
Dynamic DNS registration problems.

Ace