From: Gaiseric Vandal on
It may depend somewhat on the domain or forest mode of the AD domain.

I had partial success with Samba 3.0.x and a Windows 2003 domain in
mixed mode. However the winbind idmap entries would expire from cache
and not refresh. I couldn't get Samba 3.0.x to trust an AD domain in
Windows 2003 native mode. Upgrading to Samba 3.4.8 seems to have
resolved the Win 2003 compatibility issue. However, I had to manually
create winbind idmap entries in samba (LDAP backend) for each Windows
2003 user- there weren't that many and it changes rarely.

On 08/05/2010 08:50 AM, Marc Rechté wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know which version of Samba is requied, if possible at
> all, to perform the following:
>
> I have a Samba domain (server is configured as a PDC) that requires to
> trust an AD domain (two-way) in order to share network ressources on
> both domains ?
>
> Many thanks

Hello Gaiseric,

Thank you for your answer.

My last experience in Windows server was on NT, therefore my knowledge
on AD is rather limited. I however work with an AD admin who may answer
to some questions.

He said the server with which the relation has to be set is in a 2003
level forest with a 2003 R2 schema. He also made a reference to MS KB
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325874/ on establishing a trust relation
between an NT server and 2003 server and this document does not
explicitly state the Windows server must be set in mixed mode.

I checked both the Samba3 Official guide and Samba 3 how-to guides but
it seems both of them are stuck to 3.0 version. Is there some more
updated information regarding domains and AD interoperability in Samba ?

Many thanks

He is correct that the Windows 2003 native shd be able to trust an NT4
domain (which is what Samba pretends to be.) AD domain in Windows
"mixed" mode supports NT4 domain members- which is not what you are
trying to do anyway. But it suggested to me that when the AD domain
moves to native mode it either tightens up some authentication protocols
in such a way that don't play nice with older version of Samba. Of
course, there could have been some weird issue with my environment that
I couldn't isolate.

If you really were setting up a domain trust between NT4 PDC and an
Windows 2003 PDC, the NT4 PDC would "think" it was talking to another
NT4 PDC. Samba , even tho it is providing the function of an NT4 PDC,
looks like it will detect that the other domain is an Active Directory
domain. Things like DNS name lookup (which wasn't so much of an issue
for primitive OS's like NT4 or Windows 95) are a lot more important.
(Active directory clients use DNS to locate AD LDAP and Kerberos
servers.) It will probably make your life simpler if you use your
Active Directory server as the main DNS and WINS server for the
network. You may also want to update the krb5.conf file on your
samba server to have information info on the AD "kerberos" domain.
That may help samba locate the the DC for the AD domain.

Also, pretty sure you need to keep NBT (netbios over tcp ) enable on
your Windows AD server- which should be the default option. Windows XP
(and later) AD clients don't need NBT to talk to an AD server so it is
possible your AD admin turned it off.

I also found that the samba documentation was not as complete or current
as I would like.