From: Bit Twister on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:14:41 -0700, Artist wrote:

> I am using the dovecot.conf my control panel (http://froxlor.org)
> instructed to use. I see nothing listening on port 110, emails sent to
> my server bounce, and email client connection attempts are refused. I
> have been looking for something wrong in dovecot.conf

For me, I setup dovecot to use imap protocols, where to dump errors/info
logs, declared the mail location, and group for dovecot access.

Ports in use are

# netstat -tunap | grep dove
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:993 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2307/dovecot
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2307/dovecot

Here is the vendor original and my dovecot.conf file difference.

# diff -bBw /etc/dovecot.conf_vorig /etc/dovecot.conf
24c24
< #protocols = imap imaps
---
> protocols = imap imaps
68c68
< #log_path =
---
> log_path = /var/log/dovecot/errors.log
72c72
< #info_log_path =
---
> log_path = /var/log/dovecot/info.log
228c228
< #mail_location =
---
> mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
309c309
< #mail_privileged_group =
---

From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-04-24, Artist <Artist(a)sj.speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Keith Keller wrote:
>> If you're configuring a new dovecot from scratch, it's probably better
>> to start with the example dovecot-example.conf and modify it as needed.
>
> I am using the dovecot.conf my control panel (http://froxlor.org)
> instructed to use.

Please read my above again. Trust me, get the original example file and
modify that. Not only are you starting from a known configuration (that
others know), but you know exactly what modifications are being made.

> I see nothing listening on port 110, emails sent to
> my server bounce, and email client connection attempts are refused. I
> have been looking for something wrong in dovecot.conf

You need access to your logs to know for sure, but it sounds like
dovecot isn't starting up (which probably means your control panel hosed
the config). The log should tell you why it might not be starting; this
is also better than randomly looking through the config file trying to
find errors, since the log will tell you exactly what's wrong.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

From: Artist on
Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2010-04-24, Artist <Artist(a)sj.speakeasy.net> wrote:
>> Keith Keller wrote:
>>> If you're configuring a new dovecot from scratch, it's probably better
>>> to start with the example dovecot-example.conf and modify it as needed.
>> I am using the dovecot.conf my control panel (http://froxlor.org)
>> instructed to use.
>
> Please read my above again. Trust me, get the original example file and
> modify that. Not only are you starting from a known configuration (that
> others know), but you know exactly what modifications are being made.
>
>> I see nothing listening on port 110, emails sent to
>> my server bounce, and email client connection attempts are refused. I
>> have been looking for something wrong in dovecot.conf
>
> You need access to your logs to know for sure, but it sounds like
> dovecot isn't starting up (which probably means your control panel hosed
> the config). The log should tell you why it might not be starting; this
> is also better than randomly looking through the config file trying to
> find errors, since the log will tell you exactly what's wrong.
>
> --keith

Dovecot had started up.

But I have dovecot listening now and connections to the server using the
email client are no longer being refused.

I had been using the command "/etc/init.d/dovecot reload" expecting this
would cause dovecot to reload "dovecot.conf." The command "dovecot -n"
seemed to verify it reloaded "dovecot.conf." But the ports at 110 and
143 were still not open.

To get them open I had to kill dovecot and restart it. It did not work
to do this with "/etc/init.d/dovecot restart." In response I got the
error that dovecot was already running, which means the function
"do_stop()" in the script "/etc/init.d/dovecot" did not work. This was
true even with the correction described at:
where the extra "/" character is removed. (This correction did work for
awhile. But no longer for an unknown reason.)

To kill and restart dovecot to get the most recent "dovecot.conf" file
acted on I had to do the command sequence:

pkill dovecot
/etc/init.d/dovecot start

My problem now is dovecot is not accepting the password I enter in the
email client.

--
If you desire to respond directly remove the "sj." from the domain name
part of my email address. It is a spam jammer.
From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-04-24, Artist <Artist(a)sj.speakeasy.net> wrote:

> My problem now is dovecot is not accepting the password I enter in the
> email client.

CHECK YOUR LOGS!!!!!!!! Nobody can give you much useful help without
these. (And dovecot is usually good at logging authentication issues.)

--keith

From: Artist on
Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2010-04-24, Artist <Artist(a)sj.speakeasy.net> wrote:
>> My problem now is dovecot is not accepting the password I enter in the
>> email client.
>
> CHECK YOUR LOGS!!!!!!!! Nobody can give you much useful help without
> these. (And dovecot is usually good at logging authentication issues.)
>
> --keith

I have, and I have been trying to figure out why there is no connection
to the database:

dovecot: Apr 24 18:32:01 Error: auth-worker(default):
sql(Webmaster,0.0.0.0): Password query failed: Not connected to database

(real IP number removed)