From: David Cournapeau on
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo(a)geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>> ... or because Mingw32 doesn't provide the header files (in particular
>> wrt. C++), or because linking with a library is necessary that uses the
>> MSVC mangling, not the g++ one (again, for C++).
>
> Again, that would be code that’s not portable off Windows.

Not really, part of the issue is that mingw uses ancient gcc (3.x
series), and g++ 3.x has poor C++ support compared to MSVC (or gcc
4.x).

There is also the issue that gcc debugging symbols are totally
incompatible with MSVC, so you cannot debug things from anything but
gdb. Gcc for win64 is also not that stable yet - when porting numpy
and scipy on windows 64, I got numerous issues with it.

None of this has anything to do with portability.

cheers,

David
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
Just been looking at this review of Visual Studio 2010
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/26/blowing_bubbtles/>:

... the 2GB ISO was quicker to download than it was to install - not
even counting the several reboots required.

Since when do you need to REBOOT just to install a development environment?
From: Andrej Mitrovic on
On Apr 26, 12:16 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...(a)geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Just been looking at this review of Visual Studio 2010
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/26/blowing_bubbtles/>:
>
>     ... the 2GB ISO was quicker to download than it was to install - not
>     even counting the several reboots required.
>
> Since when do you need to REBOOT just to install a development environment?

Sure beats having to recompile a kernel to support 3rd party audio
drivers. But YMMV.

Although I agree, moving away from VS would be nice. Since Unladen
Swallow will eventually be merged with Python, will the dev team
consider trying out Clang as an alternative to VS?
From: Lie Ryan on
On 04/27/10 08:41, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> Although I agree, moving away from VS would be nice. Since Unladen
> Swallow will eventually be merged with Python, will the dev team
> consider trying out Clang as an alternative to VS?

What would Unladen Swallow brings that would allow the development of
CPython to move away from VS? Isn't Unladen Swallow's goal is only to
speed up CPython. Do you mean PyPy?
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message
<530938a5-d865-4228-8d4a-402a39941c2a(a)k36g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, Andrej
Mitrovic wrote:

> Sure beats having to recompile a kernel to support 3rd party audio
> drivers.

Which is a less fraught process than {B7C0D3A0-F949-44AD-ACE5-FB845B8C1EB7}
ing Registry edits, don't you thin? You never know what
{46E68550-70E4-4CAE-9C69-5C73CE2893CA} it might be having on your machine,
to the point where you are no longer able to {362CAB02-8A1F-4337-
A441-8149848BD319} it.