From: Robert Kern on
> In message<mailman.1949.1271443668.23598.python-list(a)python.org>, "Martin
> v. Löwis" wrote:
>
>> Brian Blais wrote:

>>> Am I missing something here? I have heard this before, but I have built
>>> extension modules many times under windows (using Cython) and never once
>>> used a MS product.
>>
>> It's fine if your package supports being compiled with Mingw32. A lot of
>> source code can't be compiled this way, either because gcc doesn't
>> support some of the MS extensions (in particular wrt. COM) ...
>
> But then such code will not be portable to anything but Windows.

Most of such code is for Windows-specific services anyways.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

From: Martin v. Loewis on
>> ... or because Mingw32 doesn't provide the header files (in particular
>> wrt. C++), or because linking with a library is necessary that uses the
>> MSVC mangling, not the g++ one (again, for C++).
>
> Again, that would be code that's not portable off Windows.

Probably (although it *is* possible to write code that compiles on
Windows only with MSVC, and compiles fine on Unix with gcc).

However, I wonder what you are trying to imply: that the code is useless
if its not portable? That would be wrong: the code may well be very
useful, and enjoy great popularity, even if it runs on Windows only.

Regards,
Martin
From: Martin v. Loewis on

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <4bc8547e$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>, Lie Ryan wrote:

> ... so you should get the full installer if you want to insure yourself
> from Microsoft pulling the plug out.

I wonder how many Windows users will be able to figure that out...