From: Invisible Man on
Firefox 3.6
Windows 7 64bit

When I download a file progress displays in the download window. In
accordance with my settings when the download has finished the window
remains open. The file however disappears from the download list. Anyone
know what causes this and if there is a setting to stop files
disappearing from the list.

I am using the default download folder.

TIA for any ideas.
From: MasterBlaster on

"Invisible Man" wrote

> Firefox 3.6
> Windows 7 64bit
>
> When I download a file progress displays in the download window. In
> accordance with my settings when the download has finished the window
> remains open. The file however disappears from the download list. Anyone
> know what causes this and if there is a setting to stop files
> disappearing from the list.
>
> I am using the default download folder.
>
> TIA for any ideas.

In the addres bar type: about:config
Paste this into the "filter" field: browser.download.manager.retention
Does the value exist?

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Download_Manager_preferences

browser.download.manager.retention
Indicates how long downloads are retained in the Download Manager's queue
after the download is completed successfully.

0 indicates that the download should be removed upon completion;
1 indicates that completed and canceled downloads should be removed on quit;
2 indicates that downloads should never be removed automatically.

In Firefox and SeaMonkey the default value is 2.
In Thunderbird the default value is 1;
If the preference is missing, the value 0 is used.

From: Ralph Fox on
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 19:02:35 +0000, in message <hn0t8b$9e1$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>
Invisible Man <invisible(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Firefox 3.6
> Windows 7 64bit
>
> When I download a file progress displays in the download window. In
> accordance with my settings when the download has finished the window
> remains open. The file however disappears from the download list. Anyone
> know what causes this and if there is a setting to stop files
> disappearing from the list.
>
> I am using the default download folder.
>
> TIA for any ideas.

What are your Firefox settings at: Tools � Options � Privacy ?

--
Regards
Ralph
From: Invisible Man on
On 08/03/2010 09:38, MasterBlaster wrote:
> "Invisible Man" wrote
>
>> Firefox 3.6
>> Windows 7 64bit
>>
>> When I download a file progress displays in the download window. In
>> accordance with my settings when the download has finished the window
>> remains open. The file however disappears from the download list. Anyone
>> know what causes this and if there is a setting to stop files
>> disappearing from the list.
>>
>> I am using the default download folder.
>>
>> TIA for any ideas.
>
> In the addres bar type: about:config
> Paste this into the "filter" field: browser.download.manager.retention
> Does the value exist?
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Download_Manager_preferences
>
> browser.download.manager.retention
> Indicates how long downloads are retained in the Download Manager's queue
> after the download is completed successfully.
>
> 0 indicates that the download should be removed upon completion;
> 1 indicates that completed and canceled downloads should be removed on quit;
> 2 indicates that downloads should never be removed automatically.
>
> In Firefox and SeaMonkey the default value is 2.
> In Thunderbird the default value is 1;
> If the preference is missing, the value 0 is used.

Absolutely brilliant. Many thanks. It was 0. It is now 2 and I can see
my downloads to use them without having to open windows explorer - or
whatever they call it in windows 7.
From: MasterBlaster on

"Invisible Man" wrote:

> >> The file however disappears from the download list.

> > In the addres bar type: about:config
> > Paste this into the "filter" field: browser.download.manager.retention

> Absolutely brilliant. Many thanks. It was 0. It is now 2 and I can see
> my downloads to use them without having to open windows explorer - or
> whatever they call it in windows 7.

Don't forget Ralph Fox's better reply..........

The setting is actually changed there with "Remember what I've downloaded".
I looked everywhere else *except* that tab, and just stumbled on my solution
by accident, after assuming there wasn't a box to check. Silly me!