From: MEB on
On 03/06/2010 08:17 PM, daviddee4(a)nomail.com wrote:
> I have a dual boot setup. Win98se on drive C: Win2000 on drive D:
> I use Win98 more than win2k, and I have Mozilla Thunderbird installed
> in Win98, but sometimes I go online using Win2000, because some sites
> refuse my older browsers. I loaded the .exe from Thunderbird located
> in the c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird (the one installed to
> Win98). It could not find the email folder and wanted me to setup
> email accounts. I DO NOT want to install it twice and thus have to
> download and maintain two instances of the same thing. I dont mind
> having separate browsers and other software, but downloading email
> twice would be a major pain. How can I use the same mailbox? Even if
> I had to install thunderbird twice (but I hope not), I still want the
> same mailbox. How od I do this? And where is the email located
> anyhow. It does not appear to be located in any of the sub-folders
> within c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird.
>
> Thanks
>
> DD

Sorry, to use Thunderbird on two different operating systems requires
you install it into both. The reason is the registry settings and
inclusions on Win9X needs to run Thunderbird are not the same as in
Win2K hives, nor are file locations.

You can, however, use the same mail storage/account folder, as long as
it is on a partition and file system which both can access. You do this
AFTER you setup the accounts on each machine and BEFORE downloading any
messages by opening the Account Settings [under Edit or by right
clicking the account] and directing the storage area to the shared
folder/directory on the mutually accessible partition/drive. It is best
to create specific sub-folders *for each account* used, and directing to
those, ex. d:\mail\Google\. This can also be done via the Account
Settings menu. DO NOT [my rec. others may feel differently] use the
default locations for either OS as the shared folder on the other or you
may end up with file sharing issues or corruption issues.
You can also do this by manually editing the userprefs.js on both OSs
to the mutually accessible folder(s).
Make sure, though, that you use the shared drive and folder location as
it appears within the respective OS or the folder will not be located.

As for where it would normally be stored, you would normally find this
in Win9X under C;\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Thunderbird\Profiles\
xxxxxxxx .default\ , W2K is C:\Documents and Settings\[User
Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx .default\

http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm