From: Bill Blanton on
On 3/6/2010 20:17, daviddee4(a)nomail.com wrote:
> I have a dual boot setup. Win98se on drive C: Win2000 on drive D:
> I use Win98 more than win2k, and I have Mozilla Thunderbird installed
> in Win98, but sometimes I go online using Win2000, because some sites
> refuse my older browsers. I loaded the .exe from Thunderbird located
> in the c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird (the one installed to
> Win98). It could not find the email folder and wanted me to setup
> email accounts. I DO NOT want to install it twice and thus have to
> download and maintain two instances of the same thing. I dont mind
> having separate browsers and other software, but downloading email
> twice would be a major pain. How can I use the same mailbox? Even if
> I had to install thunderbird twice (but I hope not), I still want the
> same mailbox. How od I do this? And where is the email located
> anyhow. It does not appear to be located in any of the sub-folders
> within c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird.

Whether you use the same folder for your mail data or not, you are still
going to have to "install it twice". There's no way around that.

I don't know what version you're using, but look for the config editor
under "tools". My own local folder (TB 3.x) is listed under the
mail.server2.directory value.

I've never tried to change it, so you're on your own. You could probably
get a concrete answer in a TB newsgroup.

From: 98 Guy on
daviddee4(a)nomail.com wrote:

> I have a dual boot setup. Win98se on drive C: Win2000 on drive D:
> I use Win98 more than win2k, and I have Mozilla Thunderbird
> installed in Win98, but sometimes I go online using Win2000,
> because some sites refuse my older browsers.

Why don't you try running Firefox 2.0.0.20 on your win-98 side?

There's no websites I've ever come across that had a problem with that
browser.
From: MEB on
On 03/07/2010 08:51 AM, 98 Guy wrote:
> daviddee4(a)nomail.com wrote:
>
>> I have a dual boot setup. Win98se on drive C: Win2000 on drive D:
>> I use Win98 more than win2k, and I have Mozilla Thunderbird
>> installed in Win98, but sometimes I go online using Win2000,
>> because some sites refuse my older browsers.
>
> Why don't you try running Firefox 2.0.0.20 on your win-98 side?
>
> There's no websites I've ever come across that had a problem with that
> browser.

Except that would put an outdated and vulnerable browser into a system
that should NOT be nor needs to be running one. Opera is still usable
and still being developed. And there are others...

Oh wait I forgot you're trying to get more Win9X users vulnerable to
add into botnets... my bad... wouldn't want to interfere with your
criminal enterprise...

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: Ralph Fox on
On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 19:17:29 -0600, in message <v2v5p5933sbh0cbe0p5ieake1gssp7qi9b(a)4ax.com>
daviddee4(a)nomail.com wrote:

> I have a dual boot setup. Win98se on drive C: Win2000 on drive D:
> I use Win98 more than win2k, and I have Mozilla Thunderbird installed
> in Win98, but sometimes I go online using Win2000, because some sites
> refuse my older browsers. I loaded the .exe from Thunderbird located
> in the c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird (the one installed to
> Win98). It could not find the email folder and wanted me to setup
> email accounts.

That is to be expected. Your Win2000 does not contain the
Thunderbird "profiles.ini" file which says where Thunderbird's
data is located.

> I DO NOT want to install it twice and thus have to
> download and maintain two instances of the same thing. I dont mind
> having separate browsers and other software, but downloading email
> twice would be a major pain. How can I use the same mailbox?

In your Win98, look for a file:
"C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Thunderbird\profiles.ini"
This tells Thunderbird on Win98 where its profile data
(including email) is found.

Your Win2000 will need a similar profiles.ini file at
"D:\Documents and Settings\<*win-user-name*>\Application Data\Thunderbird\profiles.ini"
to tell Thunderbird on Win2000 to look for its profile
data in the right place on the C: drive.

NOTE: An exact copy of the Win98 "profiles.ini" file
is unlikely to work correctly. Most likely the paths
in the Win98 "profiles.ini" are *relative* paths.

> Even if
> I had to install thunderbird twice (but I hope not), I still want the
> same mailbox. How od I do this?

See above.

> And where is the email located
> anyhow.

1. In Thunderbird, go to
"Tools � Account Settings � (*select email account*) � Server Settings"
and look for the setting "Local directory" which will tell you
where this particular email account's data is located.

2. Look for the "profiles.ini" file described above to
tell you where the profile itself is located.

> It does not appear to be located in any of the sub-folders
> within c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird.

A. Putting data in the "Program Files" folder no longer
works on Vista and Win7. To be compatible with these
operating systems, the data must be stored elsewhere.

B. Thunderbird is also designed so that people sharing a
computer (but with different logins) can keep their
email apart. To do this, the mail is (by default)
stored inside the Windows Application Data folder,
not in Program Files.
� Win98:
You have to specifically configure Win98 to provide
separate Application Data folders for separate users.
� Win2000:
Win200 automatically provides separate Application Data
folders for separate users.

From: 98 Guy on
MEB wrote:

> >> but sometimes I go online using Win2000, because some sites
> >> refuse my older browsers.
> >
> > Why don't you try running Firefox 2.0.0.20 on your win-98 side?
>
> Except that would put an outdated and vulnerable browser into a
> system that should NOT be nor needs to be running one. Opera is
> still usable and still being developed. And there are others...

Then why didn't you simply recommend that the OP use Opera on their
win-98 side as a remedy or alternative to using win-2k, thereby avoiding
the problems or issues of having a dual-boot system?