From: karthikbalaguru on

saving of bandwidth.

Any such tool/protocl available
in either Linux or Windows
environment ? Any ideas ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Dusko Savatovic on

Hi Karthik Balaguru,

Your question is not related to server, networking and many other
newsgroups.

However, the short answer to your question is no.

From: karthikbalaguru on
On Jan 14, 1:15 pm, David Brown wrote:
> Dusko Savatovic wrote:
>
> > "karthik balaguru" wrote in message
> >> Hi,
>
> >> Many tools have the feature of
> >> printing a particular page or
> >> a continous range of selective
> >> pages.
>
> >> Similarly,
> >> Is there a free tool/protocol that
> >> will help in downloading a particular
> >> page of the document rather than
> >> the whole document(PDF or Word
> >> document or Linux based document
> >> files or PPT file or Excel file) ?- Hide quoted text -

> > Hi Karthik Balaguru,
>
> > Your question is not related to server, networking and many other
> > newsgroups.
>
> > However, the short answer to your question is no.
>
> For a slightly longer answer as to /why/ the answer is no, you have to
> look at the file formats. It is not necessarily impossible to view
> early pages of a document before the end of the file is read in (acrobat
> reader can do this with pdf files, for example), but later parts of the
> files generally refer back to the earlier parts.

Interesting !

> This is immediately
> obvious with any compressed file format (such as pdfs, or open document
> files), and with any binary-format file where the file reader
> application cannot interpret later parts without having first read
> earlier parts.

Okay !

Since the file reader can read on
server side, it can transmit only the
selected pages to save the bandwidth
and enable quick downloading as we
might need not wait for the download
of the entire file.

> You could always try asking the question in relevant newsgroups instead
> of the random collection you've picked here, but you won't get any other
> short answer, and I doubt if you'll get a long answer that helps you
> much more.

Okay,
I thought that this query is related
to windows and linux environment
in turn is in close connection to
internet. Hence, i posted to those
groups. But, anyhow since it has
been conveyed that these are not
appropriate groups, i wonder what
kind of newsgroups can be used
for this query.

Should i need to post this to
more generic groups like application
development newsgroups related to
linux and windows ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Mark Hobley on
David Brown <david(a)westcontrol.removethisbit.com> wrote:
> You could always try asking the question in relevant newsgroups instead
> of the random collection you've picked here

My guess is that comp.infosystems is a more relevant group for this, but I
haven't looked into that. (I have a similar query to yours on my todo list
though, but I have no requirement to stick with legacy document formats.
FWIW I am thinking of maybe converting abiword to an online document reader,
or maybe looking at some variation of gopher, or even a man pager derivative).

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: karthikbalaguru on
On Jan 14, 1:15 pm, David Brown <da...(a)westcontrol.removethisbit.com>
wrote:
> Dusko Savatovic wrote:
> > "karthikbalaguru" <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
>
> >> Many tools have the feature of
> >> printing a particular page or
> >> a continous range of selective
> >> pages.
>
> >> Similarly,
> >> Is there a free tool/protocol that
> >> will help in downloading a particular
> >> page of the document rather than
> >> the whole document(PDF or Word
> >> document or Linux based document
> >> files or PPT file or Excel file) ?- Hide quoted text -

> > Hi Karthik Balaguru,
>
> > Your question is not related to server, networking and many other
> > newsgroups.
>
> > However, the short answer to your question is no.
>
> For a slightly longer answer as to /why/ the answer is no, you have to
> look at the file formats.  It is not necessarily impossible to view
> early pages of a document before the end of the file is read in (acrobat
> reader can do this with pdf files, for example), but later parts of the
> files generally refer back to the earlier parts.  This is immediately
> obvious with any compressed file format (such as pdfs, or open document
> files), and with any binary-format file where the file reader
> application cannot interpret later parts without having first read
> earlier parts.
>
> You could always try asking the question in relevant newsgroups instead
> of the random collection you've picked here, but you won't get any other
> short answer, and I doubt if you'll get a long answer that helps you
> much more.

I have checked the same in the below
link -
http://serverfault.com/questions/102608/tool-to-download-only-selective-pages-particular-page-from-a-document-closed