From: JohnN on
Just bought a Linksys WIRELESS N ADSL2+ GATEWAY WAG160N router to obtain
better security from my existing WEP Encryption Modem/Router setup; ie want
WPA2.

Had difficulty installing from CD (could not find my Network adapter);had to
resort to Linksys Internet Utility to get operational, which seemed OK, but
cannot get my Intel Pro/Wireless G adapter on my Dell Laptop to recognise my
Profile, however when trying using the Windows recognition method I can get
a connection, but very weak!

On its own and connected to my PC by the PC network adapter the Linksys unit
above is very slow to connect and is not very stable, and on checking the
internet download speed this is very low; much higher on my old G Wireless
system.

Any one had similar Linksys problems; any recommendations on replacing my
Dell installed wireless G adapter on Laptop with a suitable N adapter(USB or
ExpressCard) and any help on how I can improve operation of Linksys unit?

Thanks John

From: mikeyhsd on
have the same wireless router.

works with no problems.

have you gone to their web site and updated ALL the software.
control program, drivers and bios in the router.

be extremely careful when updating the bios in the router.
I usually use msconfig and turn off everything then reboot to do bios updates.

--

mikeyhsd(a)hotmail.com

From: JohnN on
Could my problem be that my built in wireless adapter on my Dell Laptop is G
and my new Wireless Router Modem is N; if that is so can someone recommend a

From: Peter Pan on
> Could my problem be that my built in wireless adapter on my Dell Laptop is
> G and my new Wireless Router Modem is N; if that is so can someone
> recommend a N adapter (usb or expresscard)?
>
> Thanks John
>
> "JohnN" <jfn(a)jfneal.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Just bought a Linksys WIRELESS N ADSL2+ GATEWAY WAG160N router to obtain
>> better security from my existing WEP Encryption Modem/Router setup; ie
>> want WPA2.
>>
>> Had difficulty installing from CD (could not find my Network adapter);had
>> to resort to Linksys Internet Utility to get operational, which seemed
>> OK, but cannot get my Intel Pro/Wireless G adapter on my Dell Laptop to
>> recognise my Profile, however when trying using the Windows recognition
>> method I can get a connection, but very weak!
>>
>> On its own and connected to my PC by the PC network adapter the Linksys
>> unit above is very slow to connect and is not very stable, and on
>> checking the internet download speed this is very low; much higher on my
>> old G Wireless system.
>>
>> Any one had similar Linksys problems; any recommendations on replacing my
>> Dell installed wireless G adapter on Laptop with a suitable N adapter(USB
>> or ExpressCard) and any help on how I can improve operation of Linksys
>> unit?
>>
>> Thanks John

fraid not, no N standards yet, just pre-n and two different ways of doing
things, some work, some won't... why not wait for actual n instead of pre-n?
(see the fine print, they are ALL pre-n)