From: Rick DeNatale on

http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/2009/02/14/erich-gamma-on-eclipse-lessons-agility-and-open-source

> * LimeLight (a Flash/JavaFX-like environment for building lickable interfaces)

I shudder to think about what a lickable interface would be like,
except for something like a lollipop. <G>

--
Rick DeNatale

Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick
Twitter: @RickDeNatale

From: Mooffie n/a on
Caleb Clausen wrote:

> The size and style drop-down boxes don't work for me if I
> close and then re-open drx a second time from within irb.

Thanks for reminding me of this Ruby/Tk bug. I think I'll have a
workaround soon. It only happens for Tk 8.4, not for Tk 8.5.

Tip for Ubuntu users:

Here's how to compile Ruby/Tk against the new Tk 8.5:

http://drx.rubyforge.org/ubuntu-new-tk.html

> Is there any chance you'll extend this to show an object's
> contents instead of or in addition to it's class/type?

Yes, there's a chance. I haven't yet an idea how this feature will
look/behave.

> You ought to provide a drx command so I can launch it directly
> instead of invoking it via irb.

Yes, that's a good idea.

> You should consider using the EDITOR or VISUAL environment
> variables instead of DRX_EDITOR_COMMAND.

There are several reasons for not doing this. Jakub has explained. I
certainly don't want to use my EDITOR: mine works only in the console,
and gedit starts up faster.

(Besides, I don't recommend people to use this environment variable
anyway. They should put all their configuration in ~/.drxrc: it's much
better because they can backup it, copy to other systems, etc. This
DRX_EDITOR_COMMAND exists only because DrX didn't have ~/.drxrc when I
wrote that section in the user manual.)

Brian Candler wrote:
> Only suggestion: a "back" button would be nice. I had to go to
> the docs to find out that right-click = back.

Thanks, I've added this to my Issue Tracker.

From: Mooffie n/a on
Arndt Roger Schneider wrote:
> Mooffie wrote:
> > (You believe the object graph DrX produces can be generated by existing
> > documentation tools? I'm not aware of similar tool(s).
>
> doxygen generates a similar [...]

No, it doesn't.

Doxygen, and similar tools, generate diagrams that are *not* suitable
for Ruby:

* Ruby's object model is diagrammed best by using a grid where the
various lines of inheritance are shown orthogonal (in
parallel/perpendicular). That's what DrX does. Doxygen is good for
languages like C++ and PHP, whose class inheritance is mostly a tree.
Ruby's object model isn't a tree, it's a graph (and a circular one!).
And unless this is taken into careful consideration when generating the
DOT source, a very hard-to-read (and thus useless) diagram will come
out. The only reason people _might_ feel good with Doxygen diagrams is
because it blissfully ignores more than half of Ruby's object model (the
singletons hierarchy, and the run-time part).

* In Ruby, much of the object model is generated at run-time. Static
diagramming tools are blind to this. For example, look at the DataMapper
diagram. Static tools like 'rdoc' can't tell us in which classes the
gazillion modules end up 'include'd.

As for GraphViz's SVG problem:

I think I vaguely remember that the font names it puts in the SVG file
aren't standard ones. Perhaps fixing this will alleviate the problem.
I'll need to investigate this. I certainly want SVG support. Let me know
if you have more ideas on this and similar subjects.

Note that I'm not using Tk's canvas to draw the graph. I show the bitmap
GraphViz produces.

From: Mooffie n/a on
Mooffie wrote:
> Note that I'm not using Tk's canvas to draw the graph. I show the bitmap
> GraphViz produces.

I also ask GraphViz to produce a "hot spot" map, which I use to give
visual cues to the user when he hovers the mouse on the various shapes
in the bitmap.

From: Arndt Roger Schneider on
Mooffie n/a schrieb:

>Arndt Roger Schneider wrote:
>

>>Mooffie wrote:
>>

>>>(You believe the object graph DrX produces can be generated by existing
>>>documentation tools? I'm not aware of similar tool(s).
>>>

>>doxygen generates a similar [...]
>>

>No, it doesn't.
>
>Doxygen, and similar tools, generate diagrams that are *not* suitable
>for Ruby:
>
>* Ruby's object model is diagrammed best by using a grid where the
>various lines of inheritance are shown orthogonal (in
>parallel/perpendicular). That's what DrX does. Doxygen is good for
>languages like C++ and PHP, whose class inheritance is mostly a tree.
>Ruby's object model isn't a tree, it's a graph (and a circular one!).
>And unless this is taken into careful consideration when generating the
>DOT source, a very hard-to-read (and thus useless) diagram will come
>out. The only reason people _might_ feel good with Doxygen diagrams is
>because it blissfully ignores more than half of Ruby's object model (the
>singletons hierarchy, and the run-time part).
>
>* In Ruby, much of the object model is generated at run-time. Static
>diagramming tools are blind to this. For example, look at the DataMapper
>diagram. Static tools like 'rdoc' can't tell us in which classes the
>gazillion modules end up 'include'd.
>

>As for GraphViz's SVG problem:
>
>I think I vaguely remember that the font names it puts in the SVG file
>aren't standard ones. Perhaps fixing this will alleviate the problem.
>I'll need to investigate this. I certainly want SVG support. Let me know
>if you have more ideas on this and similar subjects.
>
>Note that I'm not using Tk's canvas to draw the graph. I show the bitmap
>GraphViz produces.

Send a medium to large compressed svg via email to me, then I take a
look at it.
I suspect the graphviz/svg issue can be solved inside the DOM-tree after
graphviz generated
the svg.

-roger

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last