From: Brian Candler on
Mooffie n/a wrote:
> Yes, it turned out DrX wasn't compatible with Ruby 1.8.6. I've updated
> it and released a new gem (0.4.5).
> You also need to install tk-tile (perhaps you already have it). Do:
>
> sudo apt-get install tk-tile

Thank you! It works, and it's superb.

Only suggestion: a "back" button would be nice. I had to go to the docs
to find out that right-click = back.

Regards,

Brian.

From: Arndt Roger Schneider on
andrew mcelroy schrieb:

>On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Mooffie n/a <mooffie(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>DrX is an object inspector (and a source-code browser).
>>
>>See screenshots at its homepage:
>>
>> http://drx.rubyforge.org
>>

>woohoo! This is awesome.
> I will add this as a dependency to try ruby when ever I get around to
>finishing what I have going.
>
>This would be very doable if I had it pipe to
>this javascript rendition of graphviz.
>http://code.google.com/p/canviz/

Why not SVG? Graphviz already generates SVG:
http://www.graphviz.org/doc/info/output.html#d:svg

Using <canvas/> seems redundant to me and SVG is better suited
for integration in other documentation formats and printing.

>Thank you for this awesome program.
>Andrew McElroy

[snip]

Mooffie: Just a couple of questions and comments:
I've only looked through your documentation
--good that you took the time and effort to write one!!

You are using yellowish and greenish background colors for some
aspects of your documentation, I interpreted them initial as change-marks...

What about generating documentation through your class browser?
Does DrX re-generate SVG for this purpose--see my comment above.

ImageMagick for the shadow-effect:
You could use tkpath or tkzinc instead for semi-transparent backgrounds,
such as these shadows, albeit not _directly_ with graphviz :-(

-roger
From: Mooffie n/a on
Arndt Roger Schneider wrote:

> What about generating documentation through your class browser?

I'm not sure what you mean here.

(You believe the object graph DrX produces can be generated by existing
documentation tools? I'm not aware of similar tool(s). Sure, rdoc can
tell me class A has class B as its parent, but it's *very* far from the
complete and dynamic picture DrX gives. Try and see for yourself.)

> > This would be very doable if I had it pipe to
> > this javascript rendition of graphviz.
> > http://code.google.com/p/canviz/

That's interesting. I'll have a look at it.

> Why not SVG? Graphviz already generates SVG

It's true that GraphViz can output SVG, but from my (not very extensive)
tests it's not very good at that. The problem seem to be in fonts:
GraphViz doesn't know the metrics of the font the browser will use, so
the labels seem big and don't always fall completely inside the shape.

BTW, the fact that some program "generates SVG" isn't enough. Most
programs don't generate semantic SVG: they use SVG as a direct
replacement for GD/X11/Win32 calls, and the result it's very useful. For
example, you can't add some style to your CSS to paint certain objects
in green. It won't work. To see what I mean, create an SVG in 'dia',
open it in Inkscape, and try to edit it.

Perhaps Canviz genrates a more semantic output. I don't yet know.

(DrX has a "Save..." button that lets you save the image. The GIT
repository contains a branch where you can pick an SVG format. But the
imperfect SVG GraphViz produces didn't encourage me to incorporate this
feature into the master branch...)

> ImageMagick for the shadow-effect:
> You could use tkpath or tkzinc instead for [...]

Thanks for the info.

(That shadow effect isn't that important. Frankly, I concocted it just
to have nicer screenshots on the homepage.)

From: Arndt Roger Schneider on
Mooffie n/a schrieb:

>Arndt Roger Schneider wrote:
>

>>What about generating documentation through your class browser?
>>

>I'm not sure what you mean here.
>
>(You believe the object graph DrX produces can be generated by existing
>documentation tools? I'm not aware of similar tool(s). Sure, rdoc can
>tell me class A has class B as its parent, but it's *very* far from the
>complete and dynamic picture DrX gives. Try and see for yourself.)

doxygen generates a similar static documentations in html , and it's
also based on graphviz, too.

My own documents are written in DocBook, SVG is embeddable in DocBook
documents; and DocBook is convertible into html, xhtml, pdf, postscript
and SVG...
--I don't like html-only solutions.

>>>This would be very doable if I had it pipe to
>>>this javascript rendition of graphviz.
>>>http://code.google.com/p/canviz/
>>>

>That's interesting. I'll have a look at it.
>

>>Why not SVG? Graphviz already generates SVG
>>

>It's true that GraphViz can output SVG, but from my (not very extensive)
>tests it's not very good at that. The problem seem to be in fonts:
>GraphViz doesn't know the metrics of the font the browser will use, so
>the labels seem big and don't always fall completely inside the shape.

Ahaa, which implies there are no clip-pathes and viewports inside
graphviz/SVG.-
--It might be possible to add viewports in the graphviz /SVG in order to
fix these shortcommings.

>BTW, the fact that some program "generates SVG" isn't enough. Most
>programs don't generate semantic SVG: they use SVG as a direct
>replacement for GD/X11/Win32 calls, and the result it's very useful. For
>example, you can't add some style to your CSS to paint certain objects
>in green. It won't work. To see what I mean, create an SVG in 'dia',
>open it in Inkscape, and try to edit it.

I suppose you wanted to say: "... isn't very useful."

This not a problem with SVG, but with the applications creating the SVG,
and yes inkscape adds a-lot of noise (style) to the SVG it
generates/modifies.

>Perhaps Canviz genrates a more semantic output. I don't yet know.
>
>(DrX has a "Save..." button that lets you save the image. The GIT
>

>repository contains a branch where you can pick an SVG format. But the
>imperfect SVG GraphViz produces didn't encourage me to incorporate this
>feature into the master branch...)

Ok! Here is an altnerative way for you: Create SVG from DrX:
http://jeszra.sourceforge.net/jeszra/Jeszra_Environment.html#d0e1002

>>ImageMagick for the shadow-effect:
>>You could use tkpath or tkzinc instead for [...]
>>

>Thanks for the info.

Migration from Tk canvas to tkpath is actual very simple.
tkpath contains all the features and items from Tk canvas +
SVG related objects: path, gradients, group and transformations.

>(That shadow effect isn't that important. Frankly, I concocted it just
>to have nicer screenshots on the homepage.)

It matters :-)

-roger
From: Caleb Clausen on
On 4/19/10, Mooffie n/a <mooffie(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> DrX is an object inspector (and a source-code browser).
>
> See screenshots at its homepage:
>
> http://drx.rubyforge.org

Ooo, pretty colors!

Here is my feedback:

Is there any chance you'll extend this to show an object's contents
instead of or in addition to it's class/type?

You should consider using the EDITOR or VISUAL environment variables
instead of DRX_EDITOR_COMMAND.

The size and style drop-down boxes don't work for me if I close and
then re-open drx a second time from within irb.

Please turn drop shadows on by default.

You ought to provide a drx command so I can launch it directly instead
of invoking it via irb.

Excellent work! This program is awesome.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: [BUG] Segmentation fault
Next: ya config file parser