From: probono on
I have two drives and have Linux on both. Both should boot from the mbr
however when I ask to boot hda I get a message "No Signal" yet when I
tell it to boot hdb hdb boots ok.I also notice that if I try to install
Ubuntu to hda and tell it to use all the drive I get a message that it
cannot format hda5..Could my problems be caused by a failing hda ? Anyone
know of a utility I can check the condition of hda ?
From: chris on
On 30/05/10 08:31, probono(a)publico.org wrote:
> I have two drives and have Linux on both. Both should boot from the mbr
> however when I ask to boot hda I get a message "No Signal" yet when I
> tell it to boot hdb hdb boots ok.I also notice that if I try to install
> Ubuntu to hda and tell it to use all the drive I get a message that it
> cannot format hda5..Could my problems be caused by a failing hda ? Anyone
> know of a utility I can check the condition of hda ?

smartctl

If it's not already installed, it'll be in the repos.
From: Baron on
chris Inscribed thus:

> On 30/05/10 08:31, probono(a)publico.org wrote:
>> I have two drives and have Linux on both. Both should boot from the
>> mbr however when I ask to boot hda I get a message "No Signal" yet
>> when I tell it to boot hdb hdb boots ok.I also notice that if I try
>> to install Ubuntu to hda and tell it to use all the drive I get a
>> message that it cannot format hda5..Could my problems be caused by a
>> failing hda ? Anyone know of a utility I can check the condition of
>> hda ?
>
> smartctl
>
> If it's not already installed, it'll be in the repos.

Download the manufacturers tools.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.